British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-07-13, 11:29 AM

Default Only a Natal Light Horse shoulder title, clearly not!

Fellow collectors

At our local medal meeting held yesterday, this photograph came to light, and I just had to share it to further assist SA badge collectors. It just goes to show the VALUE of "period pictures"!

It clearly shows the NLH shoulder title being used as a cap and helmet badge during the German South West African campaign. If this was the case with the NLH, the question can be asked 'how many other units wore there shoulder titles as headress badges?'

Clearly colonial troops.....doubt the British Army would have allowed such variations in uniforns and use of insignia to be worn whilst on active service?

Thanks to Mike Conradie for lending me the picture.

Regards
Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of NLH in GSWA 002.jpg (59.0 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of NLH in GSWA 003.jpg (39.0 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of NLH in GSWA 005.jpg (28.3 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of NLH in GSWA 006.jpg (28.8 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by Brian Conyngham; 28-07-13 at 03:22 PM.
Old 28-07-13, 11:38 AM

Hello Brian,
Super picture, I like the forth pic you show with the NLH on the front of the helmet!
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham View Post
Fellow collectors

At our local medal meeting held yesterday, this photograph came to light, and I just had to share it to further assist SA badge collectors. It just goes to show the VALUE of "period pictures"!

It clearly shows the NLH shoulder title being used as a cap and helmet badge during the German South West African campaign.

Clearly colonial troops.....doubt the British Army would have allowed such variations in uniforns and use of insignia to be worn whilst on active service?

Regards
Brian
Old 28-07-13, 11:44 AM

Frank

The chap with the peak cap also has a NLH shoulder title as his badge, I was very chuffed to find this picture.

Brian
Old 28-07-13, 11:51 AM

Hello Brian,
The campaign was a fast moving one, I am confident that dress regulations never came into it at any point, I like this photograph, whilst it shows the extensive use of the title, the Natal Light Horse also had fine cap badges.
Now then, my friend Mr H, has told me all about these meetings, I feel somewhat robbed and cheated to think that I cannot be there with you all!
Kind regards to you all in the last outpost!
Frank
Old 28-07-13, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Hello Brian,
The campaign was a fast moving one, I am confident that dress regulations never came into it at any point, I like this photograph, whilst it shows the extensive use of the title, the Natal Light Horse also had fine cap badges.
Now then, my friend Mr H, has told me all about these meetings, I feel somewhat robbed and cheated to think that I cannot be there with you all!
Kind regards to you all in the last outpost!
Frank
Frank

Yes, we enjoy our these meetings but numbers joining have dropped off due to date clashes and other obligatons, difficult to please all.

However there is always something new to view and learn, and thats what count's. Very informal and thats the way we like it, no committees, minutes just the nitty gritty and a few jokes and beverages (hot and cold ) You and any other visitors to our shores are most welcome to attend.

Regards
Brian
Old 28-07-13, 04:01 PM

Hi Brian,

Nice photos, thanks for sharing.

The NLH was only formed by Royston in 1914 and disbanded in 1915; could this not account for the use of the title? Although of course there was also quite an array of different headgear worn in the GSWA campaign, by the SA troops.

regards, Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham View Post
Fellow collectors

It clearly shows the NLH shoulder title being used as a cap and helmet badge during the German South West African campaign. If this was the case with the NLH, the question can be asked 'how many other units wore there shoulder titles as headress badges?'

Thanks to Mike Conradie for lending me the picture.

Regards
Brian
Old 28-07-13, 05:28 PM

Hi Iain,
The cap badges were made buy a jeweller, normally, in three pieces and then had wire loops or a pin attached to the reverse, I have never believed these were standard issue across the regt, they are just too good, in the way they were made, the titles are simple and were normally just made in a single piece, though, of course, not always.
Kind regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaindh View Post
Hi Brian,

The NLH was only formed by Royston in 1914 and disbanded in 1915; could this not account for the use of the title? Although of course there was also quite an array of different headgear worn in the GSWA campaign, by the SA troops.

regards, Iain
Old 28-07-13, 05:48 PM

Hi, I have this helmet in my collection and thought that I should add a picture here, also the NLH cap badges. Regards Andrew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NLH Helmet.JPG (28.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg NLH Capbadge.JPG (29.8 KB, 49 views)
Old 28-07-13, 06:15 PM

Andrew

Very nice helmet and cap badges, these helmet must be rare!

Thanks for sharing these to add value to the thread.

Brian
Old 28-07-13, 06:25 PM

Hi Brian, thank you. I bought it for the sole purpose of having proof that the titles weren't only worn as shoulder titles. I have got rather fond of it since. Have fun. Andrew
Old 28-07-13, 07:10 PM

Hello Andrew,
Is there any provenance with the helmet, which I like very much, it is as good an example as you are ever likely to see and a rare tale of survival.
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traist View Post
Hi, I have this helmet in my collection and thought that I should add a picture here, also the NLH cap badges. Regards Andrew
Old 29-07-13, 05:46 AM

Hi all,
excuse the error, I meant to say, "could account" not "could not account!"

Andrew, nice helmet with title, nogal.
I wonder if the titles were specifically made for the helmet, (as well as for STs; Brian's original pics show STs being worn,) or just used as a best alternative?

regards, Iain

Quote:
Hi Brian,

regards, Iain
Old 29-07-13, 06:08 AM

Hello Iain,
My own thoughts would have to be as the badges were made in three pieces and then had to be hand finished, I would suggest that a far greater number of titles were made and worn.
Regards Frank

Quote:
Hi all,
excuse the error, I meant to say, "could account" not "could not account!"

Andrew, nice helmet with title, nogal.
I wonder if the titles were specifically made for the helmet, (as well as for STs; Brian's original pics show STs being worn,) or just used as a best alternative?

regards, Iain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020089.jpg (51.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 29-07-13, 06:29 AM

Hi Guys
Great thread, very interesting. I think dress regs in WWI were unable to be followed in many theatres, there are a lot of cases where shoulder titles were used as cap badges on the Western Front as well, and I'm sure this happened in other areas too.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 29-07-13, 07:25 AM

Hello Alex,
I really can't imagine that members of the NLH would be at all concerned about badges and titles, I am quite sure they would have been far too preoccupied with getting those wretched huns.
After reading Brian's original post and looking at his photograph, I now look upon these titles in a differant way.
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Hi Guys
Great thread, very interesting. I think dress regs in WWI were unable to be followed in many theatres, there are a lot of cases where shoulder titles were used as cap badges on the Western Front as well, and I'm sure this happened in other areas too.
Cheers,
Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020090.jpg (49.2 KB, 11 views)