British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-06-18, 11:47 AM

Default ASC badge- where worn?

I have come into possession of a darkened GM ASC badge which is bigger than the usual collar badges, but smaller than the usual cap badges, and I don't know its purpose. I cannot see it in McHenry & Kellock's books. Can anyone illuminate me please?

I have not pictured the back as it has been messed with: a strip of metal, folded into blades has been superglued to the back! This obscures the reverse so I cannot tell what the original fittings were.

It measures 30x32mm.

Thanks in advance, Stephen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4094.jpg (41.8 KB, 108 views)
Old 18-06-18, 07:04 PM

McHenry & Kellock make a distinction between larger and smaller collar badges, the smaller for mess dress. I have a smaller mess dress sized OSD collar badge which leads me to believe the sizes are just a makers variation.
To complicate matters even more, initially OSD collar badges were cap badge sized.

Rgds, Thomas
Old 19-06-18, 12:24 AM

Default ASC badge- where worn

Thomas, thank you. I'm aware of the two major size variations but this badge distinctly falls between both size, as shown in my photo. In the RASC there was also an intermediate size but that was worn only by the RASC Fleet as a headdress badge. Similarly, the RASC wore small collar badges on their coloured FS caps.
I'm still unsure about this one though.

Stephen.
Old 20-06-18, 09:06 PM

The RASC Fleet headdress badge was identical to a collar badge, except it came with a slider.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 21-06-18, 01:51 AM

I am still unconvinced that this badge is a mash-up of others. Yes, the figure of Britannia may well have been that manufactured for use on officer's collar badges, but the Castle is nothing like that used by the Suffolk Regt on their cloth collars. I've attached a photo of various Suffolk badge FYI (Courtesy of C&T Auctions- Colin Churchill collection).

The next point is whether or not the East Anglian Regiments/ battalions wore coloured FS caps. I would be very surprised if they didn't as both the units preceding, and succeeding them wore them. If for some reason the East Anglian Regt did not wear a coloured FS cap what was worn in Undress? It certainly wasn't a beret, and a Coloured Forage cap would not have been appropriate for all occasions.

Stephen.
Old 23-06-18, 09:22 AM

OK To clarify,
The badge in the middle is our target of conversation here.

If you look closer,
the "A" is flat at the top & the lettering is "Thicker", compared to the other 2 badges, also the crown has now dropped onto the top of the garter belt.

The year of manufacture for the two outside badges is; 1901- 1911
The year of manufacture for the centre badge is 1911.

Since 1911 the badges of the Corps changed in size and many variants were produced by all manufacturers due to the size and manpower recruited into the Corps up[ until 1918/19

My opinion (for what its worth) is that this is a sweetheart badge, converted for whatever reason, "later in its life".

But do remember, that there were many variants produced from 1911 - 1918/19

FBK
Old 23-06-18, 12:30 PM

Thanks Ken.

Stephen.