British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-12-14, 08:38 AM

Default Mystery SAA Flash

Hi all

I recently saw this pic on the net and was surprised to see the flash/ formation badge circled bottom right of the picture. It would appear this was taken in the SANDF era?

Can anyone please identify it?

Regards
Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mystery Badge.jpg (59.4 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by Brian Conyngham; 26-12-14 at 09:00 AM.
Old 26-12-14, 09:17 AM

Hi Brian

I believe it's 20 Mobile Regiment.

Arthur
Old 26-12-14, 09:29 AM

Thanks Arthur

Do you know if they use this as a badge/flash on their uniform?

Regards
Brian

Last edited by Brian Conyngham; 26-12-14 at 09:48 AM.
Old 26-12-14, 09:45 AM

After somehow missing the following web page maybe because I did not use the word mobile, found the badge here!

http://www.army.mil.za/hq_units/arti.../contactus.htm

Artillery Mobilisation Regiment.

Thanks for the lead Arthur.

Brian
Old 26-12-14, 12:50 PM

Hi Brian

A nicer online reference is:
http://www.rfdiv.mil.za/pdfs/publica...ner/gunner.pdf

The unit arms were approved as an emblem (not a flash) in 2001 and I don't think that this design was ever worn as a flash.

If I may digress a bit on the subject of emblems vs. flashes...

A number of Army/General Support Base designs were also approved as emblems only but some actually were produced and worn as shoulder flashes (the Army style with chain links and red background). Unfortunately, however, examples of 'flashes' in the Air Force style have also appeared for sale by people who seem to sell non-genuine stuff from time to time. For those who don't know, the GSBs (General Support Bases) were originally intended to be cross service bases. Those that were originally Army bases or predominantly Army bases designed Army-style emblems, while the Air Force (e.g. GSB Garrison) chose an Air Force style and I think the Navy types (GSB MOD) settled on a design similar to the Air Force.

8 Medical Battalion Group also has an approved emblem and the unit actually did produce metal shields in the same style as the SADF-era flashes of the other Medical Battalion Groups. BUT, these were only for use on plaques and were never designed, worn or intended as shoulder flashes, in spite of what some dealers might tell you.

I have been working on a guide to SA flashes for quite some time now (regularly interrupted by real life and frequently delayed by the amount of missing and incorrect info out there) but the abundance of fake, fantasy and 'restruck' flashes out there led me to exclude direct reference to metal flashes entirely.

Regards
Craig
Old 26-12-14, 01:02 PM

Craig

What a great reference, thanks you for posting the link. It is amazing how you can miss these links whilst surfing a subject.

Have you ever seen such an emblem produced even as a presentation item?

I suspect these chaps whilst having an emblem, just wear the normal artillery badge?

Brian
Old 26-12-14, 02:58 PM

Hi Brian

That is a nice reference and Armour has a similar one floating around the Internet somewhere.

For what it is worth, I have never seen a flash from the Mobilisation unit, even on a plaque and I think it is more likely that a beret badge would have been used for a presentation item.

As far as I know they only wear the Artillery badge.

Regards
Craig
Old 27-12-14, 07:42 AM

Craig

I believe you are compiling a book on SA flashes. Are these cloth/metal or tupperware?

Are you looking for examples?

Brian
Old 30-12-14, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham View Post
I believe you are compiling a book on SA flashes. Are these cloth/metal or tupperware?
Hi Brian

Yes, I am busy with a book on SA flashes and contributions will always be very gratefully received.

It was originally a book on the "tupperware" flashes but is now a comprehensive guide to all SA flashes that appeared as "tupperware" (or cloth) slip-on flashes or that had approved artwork. Any flash that was approved but that I could not find in slip-on form has the artwork image of the shield pictured over a silhouette of a slip-on flash in order to maintain consistency.

Cloth flashes (shoulder, helmet and maybe beret) and cloth titles have been separated out and will make up a second book; the flashes in particular are actually a very nice field to collect. That work is already quietly taking shape in the background but must wait for the first book.

As far as metal flashes go, I started including them but gave up because it would have been a mammoth task to verify and picture metal flashes known to have been issued and worn.

Contributions of images for any of these will be greatly appreciated as well.

Then there are pagris, hackles, cravats, lanyards and belts that need references, as well as a comprehensive but unfinished work on the SWATF...

It all seemed so easy when I started out.

Regards
Craig
Old 30-12-14, 06:39 PM

What do you mean by "tupperware"?

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 30-12-14, 07:43 PM

Simon

"Tupperware" issues of flashes were plastic versions of the Metal Range of unit /corp/regiment flashes made during the SADF era. See pic for examples. Even the rank "slip on's" were classed as Tupperware.

Regards
Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tupperware.jpg (76.5 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Brian Conyngham; 30-12-14 at 07:51 PM.
Old 30-12-14, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigen View Post
Hi Brian

Yes, I am busy with a book on SA flashes and contributions will always be very gratefully received.

It was originally a book on the "tupperware" flashes but is now a comprehensive guide to all SA flashes that appeared as "tupperware" (or cloth) slip-on flashes or that had approved artwork. Any flash that was approved but that I could not find in slip-on form has the artwork image of the shield pictured over a silhouette of a slip-on flash in order to maintain consistency.

Cloth flashes (shoulder, helmet and maybe beret) and cloth titles have been separated out and will make up a second book; the flashes in particular are actually a very nice field to collect. That work is already quietly taking shape in the background but must wait for the first book.

As far as metal flashes go, I started including them but gave up because it would have been a mammoth task to verify and picture metal flashes known to have been issued and worn.

Contributions of images for any of these will be greatly appreciated as well.

Then there are pagris, hackles, cravats, lanyards and belts that need references, as well as a comprehensive but unfinished work on the SWATF...

It all seemed so easy when I started out.

Regards
Craig
Craig

I am sure we can all assist in this mammoth task.

Brian
Old 31-12-14, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham View Post
Craig

I am sure we can all assist in this mammoth task.

Brian
Thanks Brian. I will post info as I get time and I know from experience that the members of this forum are very helpful indeed.

Happy New Year all. May it bring peace and happiness to you and your loved ones and loads of exciting new badges into the collections.

Regards
Craig