British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-01-13, 08:15 PM

Default North Yorkshire Regiment and District insignia

Taff,

Please keep this stuff safe, or it will be online next week with a named slider . . !

Keep up the good work.

Rob
Old 11-01-13, 10:15 PM

That's very true PB. No programmes are ever made for experts (which is a great shame) and the series has had a great reception from the afternoon audience it was intended for.

Had they had the budget for Foz or I to be there for the shoot all the detail stuff (kit, drills, weapons handling, etc) would have been dealt with. We always tell productions that it rarely costs more to do something properly than it does to do it badly. However, modern TV budgets are tiny compared even with ten years ago and art department/costume departments are much smaller and the preparation time is much, much shorter.

All I would say is that with our help, and our kit, at least we can make the uniforms, equipment, weapons, etc as accurate as we can. If we hadn't taken the job on it would have been interesting to see how they pulled it together. We were just lucky that we still had enough stuff left from 'Bad Lad's'.

The mad scripts are another matter. I managed to rein in some of the worst but, in the end, it is a drama and, with greatest respect to a whole generation of National Servicemen, those first six weeks were usually repetitive and dull - and no commissioning editor is going to commit BBC/ITV money for that.

I have been pretty lucky over the years. I only take on projects that I know about and usually get a very fair hearing from all departments of a production once they realise that I am on their side (that's not to say that I won't give them both barrels if I think they are insulting the Old Boys). I know some guys who have been advisors and have spent weeks on film or TV sets having all their advice ignored which is a waste of everyone's time and money.

Anyway, at least this has given you some background.

Hi Rob,

They all have lugs actually! Sliders are a curse on a drama shoot - if the badges don't just drop out at an inopportune moment they will swing around to a jaunty angle. Lugged badges stay put!

Cheers,

Taff

Last edited by chief_chum; 11-01-13 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-01-13, 06:32 PM

Default Stereotyping

I think the biggest problem with the programme was the stereotyping. All Drill Pigs weren't Scots and all NAAFI birds definitely weren't dollies. I went through basic at the Mercian Brigade Depot , Lichfield, in 1958 and then moved to 1 Training Battalion REME ,Blandford, on transfer and found that the vast majority of the training staff were quite human and apart from the odd , "Am I hurting you? I'm standing on your hair" type I found very little of the grind em down attitude. I was also surprised to see RPs who weren't L/Cpls as it was the norm. As for the corporal's beret I'll pass on that. I suppose as an entertainment for those who didn't experience it it wasn't bad but it's hardly likely to encourage anyone to enlist.
Old 12-01-13, 08:47 PM

Let me add to all the thanks, Chief_Chum. Although here in the States I'll probably never see the program, The issues certainly resonate on this side of the pond. I'm glad to hear the behind the scenes story, as I'm sure the same struggles are repeated here.
Old 13-01-13, 02:34 PM

I think the continuity was good as i'm sure it was the same man at the front of the N.A.A.F.I. queue each episode. Thank you for the insight into the logistics etc re the programme very interesting thanks. Phil.
Old 14-01-13, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnp View Post
Let me add to all the thanks, Chief_Chum. Although here in the States I'll probably never see the program, The issues certainly resonate on this side of the pond. I'm glad to hear the behind the scenes story, as I'm sure the same struggles are repeated here.
Keep an eye on BBC America you never know...

But heres some stills to start with

http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/12/pri...omotional.html

Wanted Poppy Pins

Last edited by Mike_2817; 14-01-13 at 11:52 AM.