British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-12-12, 07:31 PM

Default My Grandfather

Hello Everyone,
Can anyone supply any of the info that I'm looking for re the attached photo ?
My grandfather, Thomas William Henry Lally (he also spelt the surname Lalley) was born in Pimlico, London 12/8/1884, moving to Lewes,Sussex (1901 census), then to Ballina, Mayo, Ireland (1911 Irish census). He married in Lewes in 1908. The last child born in the marriage was in Oct 1914 in Ballina, until my father was born in Apr 1921.
From family members I recall past conversations the Thomas served in the Boer war & was in the Royal Sussex Regt (if so, this was before 1901 as hes listed as living in London (1901 census). In later life he was in WW1 & possibly in the Connaught Rangers. I cant confirm any of this as I cant indentify the badge on his cap & hopefully someone on this site can assist.
1) What regiment does the badge belong to ?
2) What nationality would the man stood beside him be ?
3) Why would he have been included in the photo ?
4) Would the photo have been taken in the country that the other person came from ?
Many thanks in advance for any assistance that can be given. All the best from Matt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sgt+Thomas+William+Henry+Lalley+(my+grandfather).jpg (36.7 KB, 89 views)
Old 12-12-12, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by implaccable View Post
Hello Everyone,
Can anyone supply any of the info that I'm looking for re the attached photo ?
My grandfather, Thomas William Henry Lally (he also spelt the surname Lalley) was born in Pimlico, London 12/8/1884, moving to Lewes,Sussex (1901 census), then to Ballina, Mayo, Ireland (1911 Irish census). He married in Lewes in 1908. The last child born in the marriage was in Oct 1914 in Ballina, until my father was born in Apr 1921.
From family members I recall past conversations the Thomas served in the Boer war & was in the Royal Sussex Regt (if so, this was before 1901 as hes listed as living in London (1901 census). In later life he was in WW1 & possibly in the Connaught Rangers. I cant confirm any of this as I cant indentify the badge on his cap & hopefully someone on this site can assist.
1) What regiment does the badge belong to ?
2) What nationality would the man stood beside him be ?
3) Why would he have been included in the photo ?
4) Would the photo have been taken in the country that the other person came from ?
Many thanks in advance for any assistance that can be given. All the best from Matt.
Matt he is clearly a sergeant in the photo (and the other man is 'seated' beside him, rather than stood?). The badge is not Connaught Rangers, but is also not clear enough to be positively identified. He looks to be an older sergeant and it is possible that the badge is Labour Corps (during the period it wore a GSC badge), although that is pure supposition/speculation. The seated man could be either French Colonial, or perhaps a member of a Labour Battalion formed from natives of the Empire. Have you any other photos that might reveal his cap badge more clearly?

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 12-12-12 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-12-12, 08:23 PM
Banned

Hello Gents,

The badge looks very much like that of the (Royal) Sussex regiment to me.

If your Grandfather served in the Boer war Matt he would have been very young, no older than 17 at its cessation.

The Sussex Regiment had two Battalions serving in the Boer war those being the 1st and also the 3rd Vol Bn.

From the image, given the uniform, rank and apparent age of the man I would hazzard a guess and say that the photo was taken close to the time prior to his move to Ireland, circa 1910-11.

If you research the 1st Bn Sussex Regt for this period it may lead to a clue to the nationality of the gent sitting next to you Grandfather.

Ry
Old 12-12-12, 08:35 PM

Default My Grandfather

Hi, thanks for the comments rec'd so far, this is the only photo I have of him in uniform, if it will help I will send a copy to anyone privately, if you want it.
Matt.
Old 12-12-12, 08:49 PM

Matt the badge looks like 20th Hussars to me.
Cheers Tony.
Old 13-12-12, 06:12 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

G'day Matt

Try doing a hi res scan of the photo and cropping the head out of it and post this on the thread. Maybe this way the guys can get a better look at the badge and give you a better opinion.

Regards

Phil.
Old 13-12-12, 09:29 AM

The Sgt. is not wearing any Boer war ribbons, the cap badge looks from the shape as it could be a Green Howards badge or a Dublin Fusiliers and his companion could be a Ghurka.

His companions hat must be a clue.

Rob
Old 13-12-12, 10:13 AM

Checking the medal index cards might narrow it down a bit: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...-cards-ww1.htm

Quick check on William Lally shows 15 records but you might want to try different spellings: http://discovery.nationalarchives.go....y=8&image1=GO

Not sure on the other mans uniform, if you can identify the British cap badge and the correct medal card it might give some clues from where he served
Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 13-12-12, 12:12 PM

Default My Grandfather

Hi, again, many thanks for the assistance. I've rescanned at highest resolution & cropped, here are the results.
1) cap badge
2) cap & head of seated soldier
3) arms & hands of seated soldier
hopefully, these images will be of more assistance.
All the best to one & all from Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img407.jpg (35.9 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg img407 (2).jpg (53.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg img407 (3).jpg (39.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 13-12-12, 01:02 PM

the cap badge looks like the Army Cyclist corps

Albert
Old 13-12-12, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Yes 100% Army Cyclists.
Old 13-12-12, 03:04 PM

Yep Army Cyclists.
Old 13-12-12, 08:03 PM

Huge difference with those last photos. There is no doubt now that the badge is Army Cyclist Corps, as already pointed out. The uniform of the other man does not look very British to me, but the 3 chevrons on his left forearm do. I still feel that he might be native labour if he is indeed in a British administered unit. The medal looks very oriental in style. It is especially notable that he has a wrist watch.