British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-08-14, 10:10 PM

Default The passing of Brian Leigh Davis

I regret to inform you that I received notice via the Military Heraldry Society of the death in July after a long battle with ill health of Brian Leigh Davis, longstanding Society member and I think member of this Forum. Renowned military author.

He will be greatly missed.

His funeral will take place in Surrey on the 8th September.

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 19-08-14, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

My condolances to Brian's family and friends. His reference books on British and Nazi insignia were some of the first in my library.
Old 20-08-14, 08:26 AM

Default Brian Leigh Davis

Gentlemen,

I learned with sadness at the beginning of this week of the death, after a long batle with illness, of the renowned military expert and author Brian Leigh Davis.

Following service with the Life Guards in the 1950s, Brian sailed the world with P&O before beginning his career in military research. From the 1970s he was a prolific author of works on military insignia of which his books on German and British unifoms of World War Two are perhaps the best known. Active to the last Brian was working to complete his book on the Kriegsmarine at the time of his death and was planning a book on First World War British uniforms.

Brian was also an adviser of uniforms for many films of the 1970s including "Where Eagles Dare" and "A Bridge Too Far" - although his expert advice was not always heeded.

For over twenty year Brian edited The Formation Sign the journal of the Military Heraldry Society the look and contents of which he improved enormously during his tenure as well as being a regular contributor. He finally passed on the role to me in 2007.

Brian's range of knowledge was immense and all of us who are interested in military insignia owe him a debt. He will be missed - and I have lost a old friend.

Jon Mills
Old 20-08-14, 08:43 AM

Very sorry to hear this, some of the first books I ever bought on Militaria were by him in the 70's.

RIP.

Jerry
Old 20-08-14, 09:02 AM

Very sorry to hear this Jon,
I had spent quite some time talking to Brian about his Great War uniforms book and I am very sorry that he didn't get to finish it.
Many of his other books are here in my office. We use them all the time.
Taff
Old 20-08-14, 09:31 AM

Me too, very sad news indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
Very sorry to hear this, some of the first books I ever bought on Militaria were by him in the 70's.

RIP.
Old 20-08-14, 10:43 AM

A very sad loss.

( I only have one book on German items- " Badges and Insignia of the Third Reich 1933-1945" by Brian and it usually enables me to identify most of the WW2 German bits I come across )

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 20-08-14 at 02:44 PM.
Old 20-08-14, 01:05 PM

A fine researcher who served his country and hobby with distinction. The first book on German uniforms I was given as a 10 year old was his and I still have it. The value and scarcity of his British Army Uniforms of WW2 book speaks volumes to the quality and longevity of his work.

Stand Down Brian Leigh Davis a life well lived and a job well done.

Mark
Old 20-08-14, 02:23 PM

A great loss to our community and his family. I have a couple of his books, which are superb. My condolences to the family.

David
Old 20-08-14, 03:20 PM

Very sad news, the passing of such an authority on Militaria is a great loss, we have his fine books as a legacy.

Rob
Old 20-08-14, 06:05 PM
Former Member

A great loss and my condolences to Brains family and friends! He helped me enormously when I first started to sell some of my badges almost 20 years ago!

Very sad!

Andy
Old 21-08-14, 10:16 AM

Sad news indeed. I never knew the man personally but he wrote some very helpful references that still sit on my book shelf.

Des
Old 21-08-14, 11:49 AM

'British Army Uniforms and Insignia of World War Two' by Brian L Davis remains one of the first books I look at in identifying the more obscure aspects of British Military Dress worn during the Second World War - it is concise yet comprehensive - and exemplifies Brian's meticulous approach. In deed - Brian's books/articles provide a fine and lasting legacy. He will be greatly missed - condolences to his family.

Mike
Old 21-08-14, 12:13 PM

A very sad loss to the militaria / collecting world.

Sympathy goes out to his family and friends.

Like most of the members, his books were amongst the first I bought, many years ago.

Bill
Old 21-08-14, 01:05 PM

Default Brian Leigh Davis Passing

Sad news indeed and a great loss to the collecting/researching community. I remember eagerly awaiting the publication of his WWII British Uniforms book back in the mid-1980s. After weeks of waiting and when the book arrived in the post, I was not disappointed - I poured over it for days.

His work will be missed.