British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-08-14, 04:09 PM

Default GLASGOW HIGHLANDERS 5TH VOLS HLI QVC

Hi all, hope all are well

Took a chance on this as I have a soft spot for the Scottish regiments (even though they want to ditch us.... )

Just wanted to run it by the team. I feel it's OK, but always feel more contented with a some of the opinions of the forum.

Cheers

Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4565.jpg (100.7 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4566.jpg (63.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4567.jpg (92.8 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4568.jpg (71.9 KB, 49 views)
Old 20-08-14, 04:46 AM

Simon

Is the front rubbed or is it just light reflection?. I believe everything looks as it should be for a genuine 5th VB HLI.

One of the first things I look for in Victorian Scottish badge is the thistles if the badge has them. I like individually sculptured petal shapes on the bulb or as in the case of your badge, very fine cross hatching which gives a 'pimple' effect (can't think of another word). I dislike crude widely spaced out cross hatching as that is more modern and would be the sign of a fake on a Victorian badge to me. My Opinion only.

Cheers
Mark
Old 20-08-14, 02:53 PM

Hi Mark, thanks for that. As regards the front, no that must be the light as actually it's quite crisp in detail will title cleaning damage. And I agree, it is quite sharp in it's details both front and back.

I'll keep it.

Cheers

Simon.
Old 22-08-14, 04:34 AM

Simon
Not sure from your post if you collect to the HLI as part of your Scottish interest. If you do, do you have any comment on the attached 1st VB? I actually sent it back as I didn't like the extrusion of extra metal around the bugle horn, particularly just above the scroll. I actually think it was genuine - but didn't like the look anyway. I'm still looking for a better defined one.

If interested, I've put about 1/2 of my small HLI collection on the scanner this morning. My 5th VB (middle - second row), looks exactly like yours. I believe it to be fine, so I agree a keeper.

If you come across a good 1st VB please let me know.

All the best
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hli vb 5_2.jpg (104.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg HLI ob.jpg (70.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 22-08-14, 05:56 AM

Hi Simon
I know nothing about these badges but your photo has the look of a grey patina on the badge in places which I associate with artificially aging badges. I can't tell if it's just shadowing on the photo or actually on the badge?
Cheers,
Alex
Old 22-08-14, 09:36 AM

Hi Mark, that's a nice collection there. My soft spot for the Scot's only stretch's to my budget. I pick these up when I find them at a good price. Plus it's not good for my main collecting of WW1 British CB's. I keep exhausting my limited budget with these distractions. My best find though was the 2nd Vols.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=78195

Got that for about 16 pound. But that was from an American out in CA. If I see the one your after Mark, I'll let you know.

Alex, I'll see if I can take better pics. But with my move back to the UK, all my photo shoot set up is packed. For the price, I'll keep it for now.

Cheers both

Regards

Simon.
Old 23-08-14, 06:02 AM

Superb badge Simon. Though of course you know its 2nd VB Black Watch not HLI. And only 16 quid! I nearly choked. What a great deal - it would knock you back well over GBP100 normally. Why can't I ever come across deals like that?

I really like the images you show of your badges - I'm going to have to get myself a camera one day and learn how to do what you are doing. It's hopeless with a just scanner.

My wife's folks are from Angus, right in the middle of Back Watch country just north of Dundee - so unfortunately for my wallet I have a passing interest in in the Black Watch as well as HLI. So if you ever finish your Great War project and want to get some other Black Watch VB mates to join it - here is a selection to look out for. Going from right to left:

2nd VB Angus
3rd VB Dundee Highland
4th VB Perthshire
6th VB Fifeshire
6th VB Fifeshire
4 x RV badges for interest

Best regards
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BW VB RV.jpg (79.8 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by dubaiguy; 23-08-14 at 11:34 AM.
Old 23-08-14, 10:08 AM

Thanks mark, yes a good buy. It even came with the side cap. Unfortunately it was in very bad shape with moth holes etc. But I did sell it on Ebay I think for about 30 pound as it was the leather banded one's with were pre and WW1. So theoretically I got the badge for free.

Thanks on the comment of the pics. I had a set up before I left the US that I need once I settle somewhere to take those type of pics. I also put them through photoshop etc to crop the background away to make it pure white.

That's a nice set there too. I have a feeling the WW1 will never end, as there's always something else to collect. I'm drifting now in war service badges, and they aren't cheap either these days. As I said, the rare Scottish one's I really only get when I find them as a bargain. But maybe in the future.

Have you framed what you have, or intending too one day. I framed my basic Scots one's last year. I just need a place to hang it up now.....:roll eyes:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=94779

Regards

Simon.