British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Photographs of Canadian Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-08-14, 05:30 PM

Default Pvt John Doyle Pew, 133rd C.E.F

Thought you folks may like to see my Great Grandfather's enlistment picture. He was a company Bugler and I have been told his lanyard is unusual, so would like some input on what you may think. Also I am looking for a clear picture of what his bugle patch would have looked like as it is only slightly visible in his picture.

A close up.........

And the entire 133rd CEF Drum and Bugle Band. John is standing second row all the way to the left.

Appreciate any info on uniforms, or other members ID, etc. Thank You.

Semper Fi, Rob
Looking for information on my Great Grandfather Pte. John Doyle Pew, 797553, enlisted into the 133rd Battalion, CEF on Jan. 10, 1916. Wounded with the 19th Battalion, May 8, 1917 at the battle of Fresnoy Wood.
Old 13-08-14, 04:54 PM

What we are looking at is strictly a "Corps of Drums" not a military band as such ....... the drummers were all trained [in British practice] on drum, bugle and flute/fife/piccolo. I see no evidence of woodwind in the photo, so this corps probably split drums and bugles only, rather like a British Boys' Brigade corps.

The men were usually appointed "drummers" regardless of which instrument they majored in, unless the unit was light infantry or rifles, in which case there was a corps of bugles only.

The drummers assigned to drumming paraded with bugle slung ...... see Queen's Birthday Parade to this day.

The fancy cords were called a variety of things, but were an additional badge of office. I say additional because [British again] a drum badge would be worn upper right arm. The cords were green for all except Royal regiments, who had mixed scarlet black and yellow.

The above is British practice, and may well not apply fully.

Last edited by grumpy; 13-08-14 at 04:58 PM. Reason: omission
Old 13-08-14, 08:46 PM

The "lanyard" is actually musician's cords, and part of the uniform for some military band members. The cords probably have their origin in some lanyard type function.

More ornate versions currently in use seen here:

Old 15-08-14, 04:20 PM

grumpy, your right about it not being the full band. here is a picture of the 133rd Band. John Doyle Pew was not a part of it. He was just a company bugler.

I am not sure yet if he remained a bugler after arrival in England and subsequent transfer to the 19th Battalion at the front. I am hoping that when the records become available at LAC I may have some more information. So far as to the lanyards, I think but can not prove that the ones with them are actually a Company bugler, and that those with out are sort of "filling in" for the drum and bugle band.

Semper Fi, Rob
Looking for information on my Great Grandfather Pte. John Doyle Pew, 797553, enlisted into the 133rd Battalion, CEF on Jan. 10, 1916. Wounded with the 19th Battalion, May 8, 1917 at the battle of Fresnoy Wood.