British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-08-10, 08:06 PM

Post Huddersfield Museum and Military History Society.

Apologies in advance if this is not the correct heading in which to divulge the following information.

I recently made a visit to what appears to be a little known Military Museum in Huddersfield the Bullecourt Museum at Milnsbridge. This is a small museum, i think a private collection, based in an old drill hall in Milnsbridge Huddersfield and is dedicated to the 7th batt. DWR, W Riding. It is only open from 2 - 4 on a saturday and sunday but is well worth the £2.00 entrance fee as it contains many items of interest from Napoleonic times through to the present day and the curator is knowledgeable and friendly.
Whilst there i happened to get into a conversation with a gentleman who told me about the Huddersfield Military History Society, again news to me! This group meets in Huddersfield Town Hall on the first wednesday of each month and has guest speakers at each meeting. No membership fee but just a £2.00 admission to the meeting. Their next is this wednesday at 7.30, too late for me to go along but i thoguth it might be of interest to other forum members nearby.
I mention these two things as a matter of interest to other members and because ventures such as these need all the help and encouragement they can get!!
If anyone wants any further info please PM me and i'll reply.
Nick.
Old 31-08-10, 08:16 PM

Thanks for posting this. I came across another interesting little military museum in Yorkshire a few weeks ago. Purely by chance.

The museum of the Waggoners' Special Reserve. (The Wolds Waggoners')

Sledmere House, Sledmere, Driffield. Free entry.

To be fair it is minute, but really interesting. Located in an old stable or coach house inside the main gate. Plenty of parking and a there's a little shop for the stately home, directly opposite the museum, selling a history / nominal roll, of the unit.

Open in season (along with the house) Google...
Old 02-09-10, 07:33 PM

HI there , the `Wolds Waggoners ` museum is quite superb , considering I spend many weekends up near Sledmere house Im a bit embarrassed I have never mentioned It before.......

"Tynside" is right it would win the trophy for the worlds most tiny museum not much bigger than the average kitchen but it is quality that counts there are some superb artifacts and a very decent medal display plus photos and ephemera .

For those who are not familiar with the story it goes something like this ,

The lord of the mannor who served In the South African war Sir Mark Sykes , became very concerned how a modern british army would cope in any large future war with the problems of supply, bringing up food stuffs ,ammunition , equipment , trench - stores etc , his experiences in South Africa had left him feeling very uneasy regarding this problem and with great foresight came up the idea of raising a unit of skilled men from his own estate and nearby ones , who dealing with horses and waggons was a normal day to day task of their working lives.

The whole story and the life of the man and his quest is a fasinating yarn , why there has never been a film or tv drama is a real tragedy.

If your up in North Yorkshire visiting Eden camp museum , Elvington air museum ,Whitby or York it realy is worth the time out to visit , you can bluff the wife and tell her its her day out by taking her to Goathland AIDENSFIELD in the tv show Heartbeat for lunch ( about 35 mins away ) ......is that what you did Mike ???

like every one else I have met who has visited you will come away seriously considering collecting to this unit . thanks Michael.

Last edited by NEMO; 02-09-10 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-09-10, 08:24 PM

Thought i would look up to see if i could find a military society in the east yorks area, by chance came up with this http://eastyorkshireregiment.blogspot.com/ Looks like fun to me! I am not sure if it is still running but 8 or 9 years ago there was a military society running in the Wakefiled area when i lived close by, 30 - 40 people meeting on a monthly basis with members as well as invited guests giving lectures on just about anything military related. Anyone know if there is a military group in the Hull or Beverley area?
Cheers, Dave
Old 03-09-10, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMO View Post
you can bluff the wife and tell her its her day out by taking her to Goathland AIDENSFIELD in the tv show Heartbeat for lunch ( about 35 mins away ) ......is that what you did Mike ???

Haha no luckily I've never had to endure Goathland. We where coming back from 4/7 DG museum and she wanted to go to the big house...
Old 30-07-14, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Yorks View Post
Apologies in advance if this is not the correct heading in which to divulge the following information.

I recently made a visit to what appears to be a little known Military Museum in Huddersfield the Bullecourt Museum at Milnsbridge. This is a small museum, i think a private collection, based in an old drill hall in Milnsbridge Huddersfield and is dedicated to the 7th batt. DWR, W Riding. It is only open from 2 - 4 on a saturday and sunday but is well worth the £2.00 entrance fee as it contains many items of interest from Napoleonic times through to the present day and the curator is knowledgeable and friendly.
Whilst there i happened to get into a conversation with a gentleman who told me about the Huddersfield Military History Society, again news to me! This group meets in Huddersfield Town Hall on the first wednesday of each month and has guest speakers at each meeting. No membership fee but just a £2.00 admission to the meeting. Their next is this wednesday at 7.30, too late for me to go along but i thoguth it might be of interest to other forum members nearby.
I mention these two things as a matter of interest to other members and because ventures such as these need all the help and encouragement they can get!!
If anyone wants any further info please PM me and i'll reply.
Nick.
Just found this site - am looking for help on tracking down relatives - looking for my relatives with the name Nestor from huddersfield - recently discovered that my great uncle - Patrick Nestor was killed in WWI

PATRICK NESTOR: Son of James and Cecilia Nestor, of 16, Dock St., Huddersfield. Rank: Private. Regiment: Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment). Age: 20. Date of death: 11-11-1914. Buried at: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

I live in Chicago now but served in the Royal Navy from 1980 to 2002 (left as a Chief Petty Officer) - can anyone help? my email is tellis@advancedrads.com

Tim Ellis
Old 31-07-14, 11:38 AM

PM sent