British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-03-18, 05:23 PM

Default St Nazaire Anniversary - 76 Years - Who can forget?

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this reminder, but I know those who look here will appreciate the significance of today.

This is one of the most haunting war images I have ever come across and depicts Tom McCormack who died on 11 April 1942 of wounds sustained at St Nazaire on 28 March 1942. It is said the photographer was far more concerned about trying to photograph up McCormack's kilt than render any assistance. Several pictures in the series were reputedly printed in the German Armed Forces Magazine.

I believe Tom was in No.3 Assault Party under Captain D Roy (2 Officers and 15 Other Ranks of 5 Troop No2 Cdo). The majority of this party were volunteers for hazardous service drawn from the Liverpool Scottish.

There are some uncertainties over casualty figures but of the 274 Commandos taking part 64 are known to have been killed and 102 taken prisoner. Of the 356 members of the Royal Navy force, 103 were killed and 76 taken prisoner. It is unfortunate that given uncertainty over the fate of about 130 of the remaining participants we have to regard the figures as 'indicative'

Lest we forget ...
Old 29-03-18, 07:19 PM

We will remember them.

Tinto
Old 29-03-18, 07:40 PM

In fairness, as I understand it, the German doctors did their utmost to save Tom's life but to no avail. I totally agree, a very haunting image indeed. RIP Tom.
Old 29-03-18, 11:34 PM

Very impressive...
Thanks for sharing!
Old 30-03-18, 12:13 AM

Hi Guys,

Many years ago back in the 70's when I was a Student Nurse a guy was admitted to our ward for a routine, planned admission. I admitted him to the ward and noticed he had an arm missing - pretty obvious really.

Well, I asked him what happened to it and he said it was pretty much smashed up due to a German mortar shell exploding next to him at Arnhem. I noticed that it was a pretty clean amputation and I asked him who took his arm off above the elbow. He stated that it was carried out by a German Army Medical Officer and the operation was carried out in the field where he was wounded and not even in a dressing station.

The chap involved assured me he had no complaints re: his medical care.

Regards,

Chris
Old 30-03-18, 08:34 AM

Medical care for the wounded is carried out by many inspirational people.
Thinking of the Falklands conflict we can be proud that Rick Jolly was awarded an Argentinian decoration in recognition of his humanity ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Jolly

Having been shot several times and having his face mutilated by a grenade it is a wonder that Tom McCormack lasted from 28 March to 11 April 1942, it must show he belatedly did receive care, as suggested.