British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-12-08, 07:50 PM

Couple more examples before I move on -

The Torpedo Coxswain rate badge appeared in 1932, these two examples likely date from the pre war-wartime period.

Note the red badge reverse - the backing is now black, so this one could well be WWII vintage.

The gold wire rate badge is 1/2 of a CPO lapel set. This badge came with a pre war RCN rating's medals so I expect likely pre war.

The Sailmaker rate badge is circa wartimne vintage & what I think is the price penned in on rev - 1/3 - which I think is 1 shilling, 3 pence. I expect this could well be a prewar tailor made example.

B
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trop coxn.jpg (54.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Trop coxn rev.jpg (62.2 KB, 23 views)
Old 30-12-08, 11:57 AM

Default Torpedo Coxswain rate badges

Hi

Please forgive a newbie if this question has been answered previously.

I understand that the Torpedo Coxswain rating was phased out in approx 1947. My father was a Torpedo Coxswain and the last picture I have of him shows him wearing these rating badges.

What badges would have been worn for a CPO Coxswain in 1949? Unfortunately he was killed during the Yangtse Incident in April 1949. I am trying to group together appropriate items to be framed with his medals.

Mike
Old 31-12-08, 02:20 PM

Mike, I would expect he would still have been wearing the Torpedo Coxswain rate badges of wartime, altho the rate badge was discontinued after 1947 these badges survived longer than their so called 'terminal date. New rate badges took a while to filter throughout the fleet, & old ratings could be expected to hold onto their old familiar rate badges.

I came into Sea Cadets in '59 (in Canada) & at that late date there were still RCN(R) ratings wearing wartime rate badges, altho in the RCN/RCN(R) these badges had terminated in '49-'50.

I have att'd a scan of the Torpedo Coxswain rate badges worn wartime & post war period.

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Torp Coxn lg.jpg (46.8 KB, 29 views)
Old 31-12-08, 04:10 PM

Hi Bryan

Thanks very much for the info. I'd give my eye-teeth to get copies of those badges - any bright ideas? I've been searching as many naval militaria websites as I can and have a few 'requests' lodged with some, but no luck.

Still, I've now got all the medals and clasps to which my father was entitled (two had never been awarded) and a nice (and quite valuable) collection they make, so perhaps I'll just have to go ahead and get what I have framed.

Regards

Mike (in a cold and gloomy Devon, England.
Old 31-12-08, 04:50 PM

I will get you a Torp Cox'n rate badge in Canada Mike, they are not rare & I can get you an example at shows over here.

Love to see the photo of yr Dad in his uniform, I will PM my email address to you. I always like photos of RN ratings wearing their badges/medals.

& which ship was he on in Yangtze? Not of the period I collect to but medals to Yangtze action ratings are very desirable.

Bryan (a ***COLDER*** SNOWY**** CANADA!)
Old 31-12-08, 05:10 PM

Hi Bryan

I've sent you a personal e-mail off-forum.

Regards

Mike
Old 31-12-08, 05:37 PM

Thanks Mike & I have responded.