British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-05-17, 07:10 AM

Default medals and insignia to a gunner of the SA Field Artillery, 6th S. African Armd Div

These are the medals and insignia belonging to a corporal of the South African Field Artillery, 91309 S.W.R. Lindsay, that came with the lot of mixed odds and bits I have posted in http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=61723 There are some discrepancies: medals are 1939-1945 War Medal, Defence Medal, Africa Star, Italy Star, Africa Service Medal, whereas ribbons are for the 1939-1945 Star, Africa Star, Italy Star, Africa Service Medal, but no mention of the other two medals. The heavily repaired cap badge is Royal Artillery, NOT South African Artillery, whereas the pit helmet flash is SA Field Artillery. Still i do not think is a lot that has been put together, however it could also be. What's your opinion, gents?
Old 08-05-17, 04:27 PM

Hi Loupie
It is quite possible that he lost his badge and just used an RA badge.
As for the medals, a lot of the ribbons were issued before the medals were issued. The 1939-45 Star was originally the '39-43 star and some ribbons were issued before the end of the war. The Africa Star ribbon was also issued before the end of the war I think. I can't remember when all the WWII medals were finalized but I think 1947-48? It is quite likely that he had the ribbon bar made up before the War & Defence Medals were issued.
Pity the '39-45 is missing
Cheers,
Alex
Old 08-05-17, 09:15 PM

thank you Alex! as long as I know, the Africa Star was issued after 8th July 1943: quite a lot of pics of desert veterans proudly wearing the ribbon in Italy...