British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-09-13, 02:34 PM

Default F Narborough marked Y&L

I was lucky to receive this curious maker marked FN Birmingham York and Lancaster badge from OC14 (thanks again Paul).

2 things make this badge interesting. Firstly, not all of the metal has been stamped out and secondly there is a very small sweat hole behind the coronet.

Now, I have other FN badges and I think Andy P also has a FN mm one and in all the examples I have seen, the solder from the slider spills over the back of the coronet as in the second badge pictured.

Until now, I thought these particular FN badges didn't have a sweat hole (which is unusual for Y&L badges of this period) but it appears they have and because its a very small hole it seems to get obscured by solder.

It different to many badges but I like it because it is different!

Ivan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01694.jpg (53.7 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01695.jpg (44.6 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01299.jpg (68.2 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01300.jpg (54.8 KB, 120 views)
Old 05-10-13, 10:46 AM

Only just seen this Ivan, great badge!

Cheers,

Andy C
Old 06-10-13, 12:56 PM
guest123a

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger123 View Post
I was lucky to receive this curious maker marked FN Birmingham York and Lancaster badge from OC14 (thanks again Paul).

2 things make this badge interesting. Firstly, not all of the metal has been stamped out and secondly there is a very small sweat hole behind the coronet.

Now, I have other FN badges and I think Andy P also has a FN mm one and in all the examples I have seen, the solder from the slider spills over the back of the coronet as in the second badge pictured.

Until now, I thought these particular FN badges didn't have a sweat hole (which is unusual for Y&L badges of this period) but it appears they have and because its a very small hole it seems to get obscured by solder.

It different to many badges but I like it because it is different!

Ivan
Ivan,

A nice unfinished badge, must have slipped through the quality control.

Interesting point about the sweat hole, I might have to take a couple of badges of cards and have a look when I get home.

Cheers,

M
Old 07-10-13, 09:46 AM

Thanks chaps.

Marcus, I'd be interested in knowing if you do have any FN badges with the small sweat holes (or if anyone else has any for that matter).

Thanks, Ivan
Old 21-10-13, 11:48 AM
guest123a

Default F&N Y&L

Ivan (and any other Y&L fans),

I have attached some pictures of F&N examples I have both with the tapered slider and style your badges have.

Observations are:

1. All badges irrespective of the slider are of the same style and construction with the brass rose being part of the main badge with the cornet and rose being overlaid

2. No sweat hole is visible on the rear of the cornet on any badge but as you have previously mentioned these appear to have been hidden by the solder or even the slider.

3. The sliders are not necessarily fastened to the badge in exactly the same way, example 1 has the end of the slider folded over where it joins the badge, 2 & 3 do not.

4. The F&N mark is not uniform in its position on the sliders nor is the strike universally even, I would have thought this indicates that possible the mark is applied by hand?

5. I also have a number of Leeds Rifles badges with the tapered F&N slider which is not makers marked, I believe these to be genuine die to the depth of detail on the rear of the badge which is much shallower on restrikes (I have added one of these for comparison of the slider).

Cheers,

M

Last edited by guest123a; 21-07-15 at 06:43 PM.
Old 22-10-13, 04:19 PM

Marcus,

Thanks for posting some very interesting pictures. There's potential here for a serious study of different types of slider used on FN badges.

Here's my observations:

I agree 100% about badge style and construction, it is exactly the same regardless of the slider used. This says to me the sliders are likely to have come from different suppliers or sub contractors maybe?

I particularly like the folded over slider in your example no1 and its interesting that there is quite a variation in the placing/striking of the makers mark. I'm inclined to agree that the stampings have probably been applied by hand rather than by a machine.

I also have some badges of exactly the same style and construction as the FN marked ones but with the same sliders ie I think its possible to identify an FN made Y&L badge that isn't maker marked.

Does anyone have a slider-less FN badge that can be examined to see if there is a small sweat hole under the solder?

Ivan
Old 03-11-13, 08:07 PM
guest123a

Default OTHER F&N MARKED BADGES

Attached are pictures of another 2 F&N marked badges I have.

1, West Yorks - Non voided legs

2. Border Regiment.

Cheers,

M

Everyone please feel free to look at my badges but please don't download and retain any images without first asking me via the PM function.

Last edited by guest123a; 21-07-15 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-11-13, 09:05 PM

Thanks Marcus.

There's a definite difference in the type of sliders used on FN badges.

Did I see a thread a long time ago showing pictures of different sliders available to badge makers?

Ivan
Old 23-04-17, 06:53 PM

Default FN makers stamp on Sweetheart brooch

I have inherited a brooch from my long departed Grandmother.

I have been able to establish that the main part is Highland light infantry circa 1914 but it is mounted on a crossed sword and rifle please see attached image.

Makers mark for FN birmingham and lion emblem

Could you spread any light on the sword and rifle addition?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sweetheart Brooch HLI.jpg (53.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg fn Birmingham.jpg (16.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 24-04-17, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterrock View Post
I have inherited a brooch from my long departed Grandmother.

I have been able to establish that the main part is Highland light infantry circa 1914 but it is mounted on a crossed sword and rifle please see attached image.

Makers mark for FN birmingham and lion emblem

Could you spread any light on the sword and rifle addition?
Many sweetheart brooches had a horizontal piece holding the pin. These were often a rifle with fixed bayonet. Yours is just a manufacturers variation and has no practical significance.
Old 24-04-17, 10:47 PM

Thanks for the reply Toby
Old 24-04-17, 10:51 PM

i've since seen another back mount with South Stafford badge attached by same mker Frederick Narborough (F.N) Birmmingham - may have been his speciality

Tags
fn b'ham, maker mark, y&l, york lancaster