British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-07-17, 09:57 AM

Keith
As ever thanks for posting! It makes me quite annoyed to see these fake items being passed as originals. Commemorative stuff should never be manufactured without some marking on the back to prevent deception. Some folks naively manufacture 'gap fillers' thinking their spurious origins will always be known. Your post illustrates that even if manufactured with the best intentions this tat can be passed off as original in the future. A curse on all who manufacture this nonsense whoever they manufacture it for - there is no place for them in the collecting fraternity - they are a plague! ... not that my opinion counts!
Mike

Last edited by Mike B; 01-07-17 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-07-17, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Keith
As ever thanks for posting! It makes me quite annoyed to see these fake items being passed as originals. Commemorative stuff should never be manufactured without some marking on the back to prevent deception. Some folks naively manufacture 'gap fillers' thinking their spurious origins will always be known. Your post illustrates that even if manufactured with the best intentions this tat can be passed off as original in the future. A curse on all who manufacture this nonsense whoever they manufacture it for - there is no place for them in the collecting fraternity - they are a plague! ... not that my opinion counts!
Mike
absolutely. And it can be done, this is the reverse of an Australian WW1 badge for women who had relatives in service, from the front, it is very convincing, but will never be sold as such:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (72.8 KB, 61 views)
Old 01-07-17, 01:06 PM

Chipper - great illustration of what could be done ... if there was a will to do it
Thanks for posting
Mike
Old 27-05-18, 05:20 PM

The fake beret has shown up again.

I have emailed the auctioneers and wait their reply.

Buyers beware, don't bid on this fake...

Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (45.6 KB, 86 views)
Old 30-05-18, 12:41 PM

A positive reply from the auctioneer...

Enjoy the hobby, Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (42.3 KB, 72 views)
Old 16-07-18, 07:18 PM

The fake is back on eBay.

Prospective buyers beware, or if you have bid retract it...

Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (51.9 KB, 79 views)
Old 20-07-18, 07:52 AM

The beret has been sold.

"A fool and their money are soon parted"

I wonder if it will eventually be shown on this forum?

Enjoy the hobby, but be careful

Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (43.5 KB, 39 views)
Old 20-07-18, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popskipa View Post
The beret has been sold.

"A fool and their money are soon parted"

I wonder if it will eventually be shown on this forum?

Enjoy the hobby, but be careful

Keith
Not wanting to throw a spanner in the works but for £69 if anyone actually believes they’re getting anything close to an original must clearly be deluded or very stupid

I’m sure there is a more logical explanation. For example I know one or two collectors who pick up pieces like this as conversation points, for learning and even keeping them off the market to unsuspecting collectors

A lot of people ask me why I hoover up Pegasus patches, Parachute Regiment cap badges and Para wings despite having 30 or 40 examples of the same in my collection and several examples for sale on my website. There are three reasons ... to add to my collection... to learn and handle as many original examples as possible ... and for investment and to keep market prices steady (I’ve never lost money on genuine militaria and it’s far more enjoyable and rewarding than keeping it sat in the bank). The hobby is my passion and I’m not actually bothered if I don’t make any money, though.

Also I have to add that one is able to highlight non original examples of militaria for sale however a lot of the time the seller’s intentions are honest and not intended to deceive just as in Keith’s email reply from the auctioneer. I noticed about 15 years ago when a lot of the bigger dealers started jumping on the Airborne bandwagon that they were selling bad items, not deliberately, but through lack of education and the belief that what they were selling was good. Add to the mix the naivety of a lot of buyers and you have a perfect storm.

In the past I’ve tried until in blue in the face to prove to someone that an item is not original and they still won’t believe me. Live and let live I guess.

An interesting thread ...
Old 20-07-18, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Keith
Mike
Agree with Mike though if only these things could be marked at the point of manufacture.
We can dream eh...
Old 22-07-18, 08:10 PM

I wander if anyone can actually believe they got a genuine LRDG badge for £27,
Although not stated genuine it was described complete with lugs etc. Surely this badge should have been marked or described as a copy/fake by the seller
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C4CDEAD4-794F-443C-AD0D-894AA0C04B84.jpg (42.6 KB, 56 views)
Old 23-07-18, 08:46 AM

I know it is increasingly difficult to find quality items and bargains but only last year I bought an original LRDG badge on eBay for £19.00!

Enjoy the hobby, Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr View Post
Not wanting to throw a spanner in the works but for £69 if anyone actually believes they’re getting anything close to an original must clearly be deluded or very stupid

I’m sure there is a more logical explanation. For example I know one or two collectors who pick up pieces like this as conversation points, for learning and even keeping them off the market to unsuspecting collectors

A lot of people ask me why I hoover up Pegasus patches, Parachute Regiment cap badges and Para wings despite having 30 or 40 examples of the same in my collection and several examples for sale on my website. There are three reasons ... to add to my collection... to learn and handle as many original examples as possible ... and for investment and to keep market prices steady (I’ve never lost money on genuine militaria and it’s far more enjoyable and rewarding than keeping it sat in the bank). The hobby is my passion and I’m not actually bothered if I don’t make any money, though.

Also I have to add that one is able to highlight non original examples of militaria for sale however a lot of the time the seller’s intentions are honest and not intended to deceive just as in Keith’s email reply from the auctioneer. I noticed about 15 years ago when a lot of the bigger dealers started jumping on the Airborne bandwagon that they were selling bad items, not deliberately, but through lack of education and the belief that what they were selling was good. Add to the mix the naivety of a lot of buyers and you have a perfect storm.

In the past I’ve tried until in blue in the face to prove to someone that an item is not original and they still won’t believe me. Live and let live I guess.

An interesting thread ...
Old 24-07-18, 10:08 AM

Quite frankly Paul, if the word copy and or fake had been used in the description, I doubt if the awful price actually being paid would have been so high, so it can only ever be deliberate, despite the timeless excuses "but I didn't know" and the now familiar "testing the water" and so forth.
Sadly, there appears to be absolutely no shortage of people who seem to lack any basic business ethics, of course, there are some that are far worse than others.
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spellman View Post
I wander if anyone can actually believe they got a genuine LRDG badge for £27,
Although not stated genuine it was described complete with lugs etc. Surely this badge should have been marked or described as a copy/fake by the seller
Old 24-07-18, 10:49 AM

Frank,
To be honest, I think he is taking the piss. It’s like a Heretic preaching the Gospel.
Sadly it seems his activities are accepted by some.
Paul
Old 24-07-18, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Frank,
To be honest, I think he is taking the piss. It’s like a Heretic preaching the Gospel.
Paul
Not listed in WW2 category or described as WW2 or Original

Money back if buyer not happy

I give up
Old 24-07-18, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Frank,
Paul
Heretic preaching the gospel
You make me laugh / just spat out my tea

Of course it’s in the same league as that!

Many people on this forum including so called experts that post regularly on here have sold me fakes. Deliberately or not I don’t know and further more I don’t care as they’ve always had a money back promise. It’s all part of the game! And I wouldn’t be so petty to name them here