British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-06-17, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btns View Post
Until now we have only been looking at R.F.A. buttons.
The "War Department Fleet" with its W.D. and R.A.S.C. buttons have officers' designs only as well.
That's an interesting point, though I think it may be possible that only officers had that type of uniform, civilian ratings of the WD/RASC and later RCT fleet, I believe wore navy blue battle dress or blue seaman's sweaters, I'm not sure there were any formal senior rate uniforms that differed from the junior rates?

Regards

Tony
Old 29-06-17, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
Would I be amiss in thinking that only one universal design was produced for Officers and senior rates, and that the difference would be in manufacturing quality? To be more precise, the RFA button examples I have are Officers (spunback). If a crimped example is located then that would clinch the matter.

GTB
Differences in quality between buttons produced for officers and senior rates might have been the case in the past but not any more. Since RFA senior rates began wearing the same design of buttons in the mid-1980s I am sure that they would have been EXACTLY the same button. With all the pressure that exists on defence budgets I don't think it likely that they would have gone to the expense of having an entirely new stock of buttons manufactured - especially when they had stacks of buttons of the same design in stock already. Economy was probably the reason that they were issued with the same design in the first place!

Pete
Old 30-06-17, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btns View Post
Until now we have only been looking at R.F.A. buttons.
The "War Department Fleet" with its W.D. and R.A.S.C. buttons have officers' designs only as well.
Bearing in mind that RFA is a naval organisation and WD Fleet / RASC is army, albeit the buttons of the latter have a distinctly maritime touch.

GTB
Old 30-06-17, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzman View Post
Differences in quality between buttons produced for officers and senior rates might have been the case in the past but not any more. Since RFA senior rates began wearing the same design of buttons in the mid-1980s I am sure that they would have been EXACTLY the same button. With all the pressure that exists on defence budgets I don't think it likely that they would have gone to the expense of having an entirely new stock of buttons manufactured - especially when they had stacks of buttons of the same design in stock already. Economy was probably the reason that they were issued with the same design in the first place!

Pete
I have noted that these buttons and the WD/RASC ones, although spunback, to my mind have an inferior quality of 'gilding' meta. There is no comparison to the recognised gilt spunback officers buttons of the past.

GTB
Old 01-07-17, 06:43 AM

Default Royal Fleet Auxiliary buttons

This has turned into a really interesting discussion and I have managed to find out far more than I expected.

Thanks to everyone for responding and sharing their knowledge. Special thanks to GTB for his photograph and his usual knowledgeable comments. I sometimes think that the combined knowledge of the members of this forum far exceeds that of the staff of the national naval and maritime museums (I've virtually given up making enquiries to them as they seem to know so little about even the most basic items!).

Once again, many thanks.

Pete