British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-11-15, 09:34 AM

Default saaf wings - which era?

Hi there guys

I am having some problems distinguishing between the 1961 -1993 era of wings and the 1993 -2003 era for all aircrew apart from pilot and navigator. The pilot and navigator are fine and I thought I had the other aircrew wings sorted out and then came across some wire half wings that look like they may be in both eras!

As you can see from my attachments I have the ET wing as 1993-2003, the LM wing as 1993-2003 and the TI/TE wing as 1961-2003. They are nearly all identical in construction apart from the wreath joining in some but not others. The backgrounds are all pale blue and oval which seems to be the design of cotton wings in the 1993-2003 era. However, this is where my dilemma begins - the bilingual letters for the TI/TE seem to fit in the pre 1993 era because the only letters I have seen in the post 1993 era for that wing (in cotton thread) is TE. The only reason for the ET wing being categorised in the post 1993 era is because this wing did not exist in the pre 1993 era. As for the LM, it appears in both eras as LM without bilingual letters - I think!!

Have I got my reasoning wrong for distinguishing wings from these 2 eras? It seemed simple with the cloth wings but these wire ones have confused me.

Regards

Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saaf et silver wire 1993-2003.jpg (33.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg saaf lm silver wire 1993-2003.jpg (27.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg saaf ti te silver wire 1961-93.jpg (26.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 02-11-15, 09:09 PM

Hey Doug

My understanding of the brevets is that the bullion wire was used from 1993/4 - 2003/4. You can see that in the pilots and navigators wings, as well as in the mess dress wings that period. The mess dress wings of the 1994- are very similar in wording but differ in size to the pre 1994. As you can see there were a few different mess dress brevets that were brought out during that time. I boil the differences in them down to different runs of the brevets (different manufacturers or materials used by the same manufacturer).

While brevets are not as popular as pilots and navigators wings, I have seen anything that was issued, and afterward was quickly discarded because of lack of interest, makes them scarce to track down. I see fewer and fewer of these around today, which I believe in turn will make for some interesting collecting down the line.

Jimmy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 94-2004.jpg (64.9 KB, 32 views)