British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-05-18, 10:05 PM

Default LRDG Flashes

I’m reading “Brazen Chariots” by Major Robert Crisp. It’s an interesting account of an armored engagement that took place in North Africa in November-December 1941. However, in the first chapter the author writes of his unsuccessful attempt to secure a transfer to the Long Range Desert Group. “(Col Prendergast) said he could more or less ask for anybody he liked, and he would put in an application for me right away. He told me what sort of things I would have to buy and added that I would probably hear from him in a few days. I walked out elated and went straight to the big N.A.A.F.I. stores further along the river bank and bought myself half a dozen shoulder flashes - red L.R.D.G. on a black background.” The transfer was refused a few days later due to the shortage of qualified tank crews.

Is Maj. Crisp’s memory correct regarding the red on black flashes? The only time I have had my fingers on these rarities was years ago in a shop in New Zealand. The owner insisted on keeping the L.R.D.G. flashes and I had to be content to walk away with the “NEW ZEALAND” titles from the grouping. (These can be seen in my Formation Signs album.) In any case, I seem to remember that the lettering on the L.R.D.G. badges was white on black, as well. Am I mistaken?
Old 19-05-18, 07:59 AM

The regular LRDG titles are red on dark blue, there are many variations both machine and hand made. Often the red has faded to pink, this testimony to the strength of the Libyan sun.

Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6597.jpg (36.0 KB, 70 views)
Old 19-05-18, 01:03 PM

Thank you so much for the kind reply. I'll mark that image against the day the stars align for me...