British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-04-18, 03:34 PM

Default What is the reason for wearing the Black Watch Tartan?

Dear Friends.

Is there any chance that any member of the Army Apprentice School Harrogate and after 1966 the Army Apprentice College, Harrogate who may be a member of the Forum can advise me of the following.

In 1960 the Army Apprentice School, Harrogate added to their Regimental Band a Corps of Pipes and Drums. This Corps of Pipes and Drums wore the Black Watch Tartan.

In 1966 the name of the Regiment changed to the Army Apprentice College, Harrogate and continued with the Regimental Band and Corps of Pipes and Drums. The Pipes and Drums continued to wear the Black Watch Tartan.

Can any member of the Forum p-lease advise me why they wore this Tartan.

I have attached two ph0otos of A/T Pipe Major John McKay both taken in 1968 and he is wearing the Black Watch Tartan.

Any information would be appreciated.

With my kind regards

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harrogate Piper circa 1968.jpg (12.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Enlarged_Piping_68.jpg (65.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 02-04-18, 04:26 PM

Possibly because it is also listed as 'Government Tartan'.

Marc
Old 02-04-18, 05:47 PM

Default Black Watch Tartan

Dear Marc.

Very many thanks for your short but very convincing thought about the "Government Tartan" as the reason for the wearing of this Tartan by the Army Apprentice School/College.

Being someone who lives even more southern than the south of England and having just looked up the meaning and reasoning of the "Government Tartan" on the web I think you may well be correct and I am more than happy to accept this reason.

As an ex member of a Regiment that wore the Grant Tartan this regiment had a reason for doing so based on affiliation to the Lord Strathspey who gave permission for this Tartan to be worn as the then Clan Chief of the Clan Grant.

I hope the reasoning for the Government Tartan is what it may well be and as I have said above am happy to accept this in the absence of any further information to my request at this time.

Many thanks

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk
Old 02-04-18, 05:59 PM

Chris, another reason for the adoption of Government Tartan might have been its availability back in 1960 with the ending of National Service and largish stocks of used kilts etc in store?
It does seem that over the years many Bands and Pipe Bands have existed on the edge of officialdom with officers required to contribute to the Band Fund and uniform and instruments 'borrowed' and passed on from unit to unit.

Tim
Old 03-04-18, 11:02 AM

Default Black Watch Kilt.

Dear Tim.

Many thanks for the comments on why the Army Apprentice School/College might have adopted the Black Watch (Government Tartan).

Indeed there is the distinct possibility that stocks of kilts may have been available after the finishing of National Service.

My request was really to find out why the Black Watch Tartan was worn by the School/College and was there a connection with the Black Watch.

As I was unaware of the colours of the Government Tartan being that of the Black Watch since something like 1739. I tend to think that the Regiment adopted the Government Tartan as being readily available possibility because of the reasons you mention.

I am more than happy to think that as there seems to be no actual connection with the Black Watch as far as I can ascertain by the School/College it is more than likely that they adopted the Government Tartan from the forming of the Pipe Band in 1960.

Unless someone else can tell me differently !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With my kind regards

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk