British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-05-17, 07:49 PM

Default 3 CLY Sharpshooters - White metal '3'

This badge was available on a certain auction website recently and went for about £17.00 with a number of parties bidding.

It looked a bit 'bright and soft' for me for a badge from this age period.

The white metal '3' is not separate but local plating presumably using a wax mask process.

There are many many variations on the 3 CLY badge and many copy variations to go with them.

In my collection I too have a similar badge, purchased a few years back. It is 'crisper' than the above example, a pressing, and the patination looks more natural, but it too may well be a fake.

I thought the damaged rifle barrel, with patina, was interesting.

So my questions are, was there ever a badge such as this in service and if not why would a faker go to this trouble, if doing it for profit rather than amusement?

PeterA

Last edited by PeterA; 01-05-17 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-05-17, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

It is not typical of any genuine badge but is a fake imo. It's like is typical of fakes being made by casting process rather than by dies.

Last edited by Alan O; 02-05-17 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-05-17, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
It is not typical of any genuine badge but is a fake imo. It's like is typical of fakes being made by casting process rather than by dies.
Both of the above badges, the auction item and my own badge are pressed die construction.

The badge was in service for all ranks from 1908 to 1920 in gilt, bronze and gilding metal.

As previous officer's cap and collar badges had riveted white metal scrolls, could this possibly be an officers badge or a personal local conversion?

PeterA
Old 02-05-17, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Peter,

An officers badge would have been made with blades for bronzed badges or lugs for a silver/gilt version.

Alan