British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > The Royal Australian Navy and Air Force (RAN & RAAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-06-17, 10:30 PM

Default AFC Enamel badges What for??

Hello all
I thought I would ask if any one of our Australian badge collectors could answer this question as to what these 2 enamel badges represent also a photo of the Observer wearing 1 of the badges under his wing??

I don't know if Jack may have asked this question awhile back but as I'm monitoring the forum for him and I thought I would ask.

Thanks Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg witcomb wings.jpg (44.2 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg enamel badges 1.jpg (51.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg enamel badges.jpg (61.6 KB, 23 views)
Old 02-06-17, 05:27 AM

this has been asked before and im sure if you do an advanced search you will find it.
bc
Old 02-06-17, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgecollector View Post
this has been asked before and im sure if you do an advanced search you will find it.
bc
Thanks BC as I said not sure weather asked as we still have no idea??
Old 21-08-17, 06:19 PM

Jack, what makes you think theses badges are military? They look like school house colours or suchlike. The photo could show a first pattern DFC, AFC ribbon.
Old 21-08-17, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pembird View Post
Jack, what makes you think theses badges are military? They look like school house colours or suchlike. The photo could show a first pattern DFC, AFC ribbon.
Well he was not awarded the DFC or AFC ,also the photo was taken during WW1 and I think wearing those items would be forbidden on his uniform.

Cheers
Old 22-08-17, 12:55 AM

That is a medal ribbon below the brevet, and is either the DFC or AFC. The bars on ribbon originally ran horizontally as illustrated in your photograph, they were later changed to run an angle of 45 degrees from left to right on both awards. I understand that they were instituted in 1918 six months before the end of the war.

Best regards,
Zob.
Old 22-08-17, 01:20 AM

Thanks zob
But mate he was not awarded any Gallantry medals just the standard Trio.So could not be a ribbon bar.

Cheers
Old 22-08-17, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackhr View Post
Thanks zob
But mate he was not awarded any Gallantry medals just the standard Trio.So could not be a ribbon bar.

Cheers
Hello again,

I note from the unedited version of photograph that was posted on the forum sometime last year that the lieutenant wears what appears to be an unusually shaped shoulder title or could this possibly be one of the enamel bars in question, as I understand that officers don’t usually wear shoulder titles, but of course there are always exceptions particularly as this photograph was taken late in the war and or could indeed be a transition picture. On the subject of not having been awarded any gallantry awards – are you quite sure that you have right person and not a brother or cousin, as I note that there are two photographs that were originally posted last year that are seemingly the same man - but perhaps not?

I've attached the photo in question so that other members can see, and also a couple of examples of DFC/AFC ribbons being worn.

Best regards,
Zob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (38.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg a03697_1-small.jpg (56.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg allied-flight-badges.jpg (33.1 KB, 31 views)