British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Photographs of Canadian Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-11-13, 12:01 AM

Default Again I beg for help in IDing this WWII soldiers Unit

Hi again fellow forum members. Again I am asking for help in IDing a Regiment or Corps from a photograph.

Below is the subject in question. It appears to me to be a Canadian in Summer Dress, likely Italy. I cannot quite figure out the Cap Badge shape, I was thinking it resembles the shape of the RCAPC or maybe Signal Corps.

The second photo is a different one, but supposedly of the same man. I cannot make out the shoulder title. It has been suggested the title says Canadian Armoured Corps, but the cap badge doesn't support that theory in my opinion.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated in matter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg regiment ID please.jpg (53.1 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (47.6 KB, 111 views)

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 28-11-13, 12:54 AM

Default Badge ID

Armoured Corps shoulder flashes and perhaps a BCD cap badge.
Old 28-11-13, 12:56 AM

Clifford, second photo,you're right,I see the Canadian Armoured Corps shoulder title.

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 28-11-13, 03:57 AM

Looks like BC Dragoons cap badge to me as well.

Phil

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/can...oons/index.htm

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 28-11-13, 12:18 PM

RCD, makes sence looking at it again. Looks to me to be a black beret as worn by Armoured Regts. 5th Div maroon patches. What has me confused is the Armouted Corp title as opposed to the Regimental title.

Any ideas on this?

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 28-11-13, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Cliff, British Columbia Dragoons. The patching scheme for the Canadian Armoured Corps changed several times during the war. The Canadian Army (Overseas) patching policy that was approved in 1940 authorized "imposed" formation patches for corps. These were patches with the appropriate corps abbreviation embroidered or, later, printed on the patch. When the CAC adopted their cloth insignia in late 1942, the policy was extended to armoured units. This meant that armoured regiments would wear the corps shoulder title, Canadian / Armoured Corps, over the appropriate formation patch. To maintain regimental identity and morale, the formation patch was to have the approved regimental abbreviation on the patch. There was a lot of confusion and angst over this policy, as many of the regiments now under the umbrella organization of the CAC were much older with battle honours and distinct regimental traditions. Some armoured units resisted the policy, which resutled in them wearing shoulder titles and plain formation patches. Eventually this policy was adopted for all the regiments and corps of the Canadian Army (Overseas). (There were serious logistical issues with providing imposed formation patches to say, 25 RCAPC personnel in 1 CID, or to issue patches to the Fort Garry Horse in 5 Canadian Armoured Division, then have the regiment transferred to another formation, as did happen. Supply and cost were important considerations.)
To the photos, 5 CAD and 1 CAB followed the CAC policy when they went to Italy. So, the appropriate patching for the armoured units in 1943 through early 1945 was the CAC shoulder title with the appropriate imposed formation patch. The BCD would have worn the CAC shoulder title with the 5 CAD patch with BCD on it.
Old 30-11-13, 03:35 PM

This original WWII Canadian BCD armlet as worn in the Italian theater illustrates what Bill is referring to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0695.jpg (76.4 KB, 42 views)