British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic > Forum Operation

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-03-13, 07:58 PM

Default No excuse for poor badge pics

Adobe has disabled the activation server for CS2 products, meaning Photoshop CS2 can be legally downloaded for free:http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html

Rgds,

Thomas.
Old 14-03-13, 08:13 PM

As a designer, it's what I use at work along with Adobe Illustrator. I use it to do all my photo's in the albums. It's excellent to balance colour, and exposure issues. The best tool is the "magic wand" it allows you to select the back ground and delete. It's how I get the pristine white field in the images.

Simon.
Old 14-03-13, 08:19 PM

Excellent thanks Thomas, I lost this software when i had to bin my pc, I bought Serif's software but did not like it as much.
Old 14-03-13, 08:37 PM
LYPAO Boff

Thats kind of them I have CS6..... but I will take a CS2 back up any day!

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 15-03-13, 12:51 AM

It also means free Illustrator and Indesign, so no excuses for poor looking publications/books either. Aint life grand!
Also , I'm quite sure plug ins for (almost?) all camera RAW files are free as well, so any image is ultimately tweakable.
Just so as fellow members who are unfamiliar with Photoshop get an idea how exciting this is, CS2 is in no way less then the most current and very expensive edition. Current versions probably have more automatic functions where you need to know how the older ones work anyway to get them to work properly. CS2 does everything you could want from image processing.
If anyone here who is unfamiliar with Photoshop and wants to give this a try but feels intimidated by all the possibilities, post your questions here and I and suposedly others (right, fellas ?) will help you get you on your way.

Rgds,

Thomas.

Last edited by fougasse1940; 15-03-13 at 01:05 AM.
Old 01-11-13, 08:07 PM

How do you add a layer so you can trace over images?

Jerry
Old 01-11-13, 08:18 PM

You don't need to trace it, use the magic wand feature in photoshop. I think that's what you mean.

Simon.
Old 01-11-13, 10:58 PM

Thanks for answering Simon.

I want to be able to draw over images, basically trace them. To be honest I want to convert hand drawn illustrations into digital images by tracing them. To do this I think I can add a layer which works like tracing paper and then I can save it as a separate image.

Jerry
Old 01-11-13, 11:15 PM

Personally, I would trace a picture by hand with a black pen then scan it. Then import it into photoshop to enhance etc. Very hard to draw that accurately with photoshop and a mouse.

Simon
Old 01-11-13, 11:28 PM

Shift + Ctrl + N, or click in your Options bar ('Window', 'Options') on 'Layer', 'New', 'Layer'.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 01-11-13, 11:40 PM

If your using Photoshop. For a new layer on top of the jpg you have opened in PS, go to the "windows" button at the top. From the drop down menu click on layers and then at the bottom of the box that opens on the screen, next to the garbage can symbol, there's a new layer symbol. It opens another layer above the image.

You can try then to follow the badge with the pencil tool which is in the tool bar. Easy to find as a pencil symbol. If you see a paint brush symbol. Hold down your pointer on that and a small drop down opens and you should see the pencil.

You can set the line width also with going to the top bar next to pencil symbol, and click on that and it opens up to size of the line.

I know its easy for me to say as I use PS everyday along with illustrator. But all I can suggest, if you really want to use both software packages, get the Idiots Guide to Photoshop. I got it for my mm and she use's PS all the time now; quite well.

Regards
Simon
Old 02-11-13, 12:12 AM
Banned

Won't load onto my computer, I'll stick with PS10.
Old 02-11-13, 02:05 AM

That's what I have. PS 7 through to 12.1

Simon
Old 02-11-13, 08:10 AM

Well worth a try but it's probably still better to concentrate on taking a good photograph as even photoshop won't put in detail that the camera missed.
Old 02-11-13, 08:41 AM

Thanks to all who have replied.

Perhaps I should have mentioned that this question was not badge related, rather to do with my work as an archaeologist and I want to trace the drawings that we produce on site and convert them into digital images.

The drawings are hand drawn and are a bit messy and the old way of publishing them was as Simon suggested to trace them with ink pens, but these days they are done on the computer using this type of software and it would be useful for me to be able to do this.

Also sometimes photographs will be drawn over and converted into drawings, such as this last Monday I photographed some abbey walls and they will be converted by someone else into digital drawings.

An example of the type of drawing to which I refer is shown below, hand drawn by me on site which will be converted into a digital illustration for the final report. I used paint to add the context numbers but it will still need finishing.

Thanks to all who have responded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg laugharne castle section 1 and 2.jpg (30.9 KB, 38 views)

Jerry