British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-03-11, 12:21 AM

Default Canadian Badges (Current Projects)

Well spring is around the corner and the collectors are coming out of hibernation! The squirrels are in the back yard and as I have been told that I cannot "shoot" them - so - - - I am getting busy on more badge images.

Thank-you to everyone for the images that have been sent. Please continue to send images of badges, shoulder, collars and "stuff". They will all get posted in due course. I have received hundreds and hundreds of images and so far I have managed to keep them straight and get them posted. I believe that I may have lost a few images from MAD4CEF but I will correct that in the future. I have just received over 300 images of CEF badges from Ian and these will fill in the CEF collection very nicely. We should have an image of every badge with some variants in the near future.

If you are going to send me an image - - - PLEASE check the site to see if it is already there.

A few suggestions for images:

Use a scanner if possible - there are a few people out there that use a camera very well and produce good quality images. The truth is that if I receive a image that is slightly out of focus, fuzzy, has poor lighting or is out of whack for color, I will not do anything with it and I cannot pass it along to the site. Please check your images, if they are anything but perfectly in focus with correct lighting please try again.

Use a scanner, it produces quality images with consistent light, focus and color. Set the scanner to "reflective" and produce and image at 1200 x 1200 or better. I have received images that are at the 3000 dpi level - they are great - very detailed!!! Use a contrasting background. Those pads of colored paper the kids use for drawing are great.

When I receive an image I remove the background from it and down convert to a GIF with the proper size for the site. I do not adjust the lighting, focus or contrast. I feel that if I adjust those image characteristics someone may make a choice on a badge using a reference that is not totally correct.

Again - thank-you to all who have sent images
Old 01-03-11, 10:58 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....
Default Pics of Canadian Badges

Are you the one I should pics of Canadian badges to?
Can you confirm the period of use you are interested in i.e. is it only 1914 -> on? or are Militia badges wanted a well?
David
Old 01-03-11, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Hello David, We are looking to fill all the gaps in any of the Canadian Galleries and we are "stock piling" images for a Pre-1914 gallery. (Still thinking about the last, as it is not as straight forward as the CEF or post First World War Galleries.)
Sharp, crisp in focus images, high dpi (Larry likes 700 plus), may be sent to Larry, or me, or Mike. Cap badges, collars, titles, and cloth are welcome.
Old 01-03-11, 01:15 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hello David, We are looking to fill all the gaps in any of the Canadian Galleries and we are "stock piling" images for a Pre-1914 gallery. (Still thinking about the last, as it is not as straight forward as the CEF or post First World War Galleries.)
Sharp, crisp in focus images, high dpi (Larry likes 700 plus), may be sent to Larry, or me, or Mike. Cap badges, collars, titles, and cloth are welcome.
Bill,
I'll zip up the images I already have as jpg's. So far, they are nearly all pre-1914. Can you pm me your email and will do over the next 2 days.
David

Question: Do you want them on a white background?

Last edited by wright241; 01-03-11 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-03-11, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Hi David, A neutral background is preferable. I think an off white background is actually the best. You can see some different backgrounds in the Galleries. PM sent re email.
Thanks.
Old 01-03-11, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi David, A neutral background is preferable. I think an off white background is actually the best. You can see some different backgrounds in the Galleries. PM sent re email.
Thanks.
Have just pm'd you. I will use an off-white background - which is the same paper/colour that I have used for the cavalry badges.
David
Old 05-03-11, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLWill View Post
Well spring is around the corner and the collectors are coming out of hibernation! The squirrels are in the back yard and as I have been told that I cannot "shoot" them - so - - - I am getting busy on more badge images.

Thank-you to everyone for the images that have been sent. Please continue to send images of badges, shoulder, collars and "stuff". They will all get posted in due course. I have received hundreds and hundreds of images and so far I have managed to keep them straight and get them posted. I believe that I may have lost a few images from MAD4CEF but I will correct that in the future. I have just received over 300 images of CEF badges from Ian and these will fill in the CEF collection very nicely. We should have an image of every badge with some variants in the near future.

If you are going to send me an image - - - PLEASE check the site to see if it is already there.

A few suggestions for images:

Use a scanner if possible - there are a few people out there that use a camera very well and produce good quality images. The truth is that if I receive a image that is slightly out of focus, fuzzy, has poor lighting or is out of whack for color, I will not do anything with it and I cannot pass it along to the site. Please check your images, if they are anything but perfectly in focus with correct lighting please try again.

Use a scanner, it produces quality images with consistent light, focus and color. Set the scanner to "reflective" and produce and image at 1200 x 1200 or better. I have received images that are at the 3000 dpi level - they are great - very detailed!!! Use a contrasting background. Those pads of colored paper the kids use for drawing are great.

When I receive an image I remove the background from it and down convert to a GIF with the proper size for the site. I do not adjust the lighting, focus or contrast. I feel that if I adjust those image characteristics someone may make a choice on a badge using a reference that is not totally correct.

Again - thank-you to all who have sent images
Larry,

What ones are you missing???

Rob