British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-02-11, 08:01 PM

Default Donating a Collection

Hello all. Over the past year I have been building a tightly-focused collection of Cap Badges and Collar Dogs: basically, an historic and iconic representation of all the badges associated (no matter how “loosely”) to the current Sherbrooke Hussars of the Eastern Townships of Quebec. It remains my intention to donate the finished project to the regiment in 2016, as a 150th birthday present (on behalf of my entire family who rendered decades of service with this unit over the years).

I have been on quite a steep learning curve when it comes to virtually all aspects of this undertaking. Thankfully, I have chanced to meet with several benevolent individuals along the way, whose valuable insights have greatly assisted me in my quest. I am now hoping to perhaps glean some wisdom from some of the experts residing on this forum.

There is still quite a ways to go until my collection is complete, and already the project has crept into a significant investment (both in time and money). To this end, I am just wondering if there are any specific issues that I should be aware of when it comes to this type of a donation. For example: tax implications, or the correct entity to make the donation to (the Canadian Forces versus the Sherbrooke Hussars versus a specific Mess within the regiment, etc), or should the presentation be “sealed” or not, and /or .... ???. These are the types of things I would greatly welcome your opinions on Or any other issue that may warrant mention.

Thank you all for your time and any ideas/opinions that you may wish to share.

Duncan
Old 17-02-11, 08:41 PM

Default Donation

You are probably better off selling the collection to collectors, ie people who care, rather than donating it.
Old 17-02-11, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Duncan, Welcome to the Forum.
First things first. I would go to the Regiment and ask what they have. For example, one of my collections is done in same approach as yours, but for the Algonquin Regiment. Upon talking to the unit, it is apparent that they have a couple of badge collections the same or similar to mine.
Check to see if there is a regimental museum, and ask for the terms and conditions for material.
Old 17-02-11, 09:29 PM

Hello edstorey. I value your opinion, and thank you for taking the time to share it. I do, however, think that by having such a collection prominently displayed at the regiment, it will give a sense of “heritage” and a real “historic perspective” to current and future members… sort of to say: ”Stand proud, look at where we have come from. Look at our strong history!”. And, just maybe, this display may inspire future members to become collectors themselves. Just my personal thoughts.

Hi Bill. Thanks for the “welcome aboard”, and for your suggestion. I will send the CO a letter once the project is in a more completed state, and see what their ideas are. Thanks.
Old 18-02-11, 12:18 AM

Default Donation

Duncan:

It is very generous of you to consider donating your collection, but you need to keep in mind that for many people, it is just 'stuff' - almost an easy come, easy go mentality. Initial interest may be very stronge in the donation, but this may dwindle over time. Not a lot of people have the collector appreciation for this type of material so the advice that Bill gives is very prudent. I would investigate very closely where the material would go and how it would be looked after before I would ever consider donating anything. Remember, once you donate something, you loose control over how it is handled or disposed of when no longer 'appreciated'.

ED
Old 18-02-11, 08:28 AM

Default Donations to Museums

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstorey View Post
Duncan:

It is very generous of you to consider donating your collection, but you need to keep in mind that for many people, it is just 'stuff' - almost an easy come, easy go mentality. Initial interest may be very stronge in the donation, but this may dwindle over time. Not a lot of people have the collector appreciation for this type of material so the advice that Bill gives is very prudent. I would investigate very closely where the material would go and how it would be looked after before I would ever consider donating anything. Remember, once you donate something, you loose control over how it is handled or disposed of when no longer 'appreciated'.

ED
Very wise words Ed. I'm sure that many of us are aware of examples of outstanding collections that, having been donated or even loaned to a museum, have then been pillaged by unsupervised visitors or "asset stripped" by museum staff in the course of cutting a deal with another museum. I'm speaking mainly of military insignia, but the comments apply equally to collections of military vehicles.
Mike
Old 18-02-11, 09:05 AM

Duncan

The problem is that if you donate a collection to a museum you dont have any control over what happens to it in the future.

The Liverpool Scottish had what I consider to be one of the finest freindliest museums in the the UK but due to unforseen circumstances the buiding housing the collection was sold and the collection is now in storage and no longer available to be seen by collectors and military historians.

I can also tell tales of items that have been donated to museums and that have mysteriously "disappeared ".

My suggestion is that you compile a book ( with full colour photographs ) of the insignia of "your regiment " with a history of the unit showing the different insignia/ uniforms worn during the different periods in it`s 150 years.

You then have a permanent record of the unit which would be available world wide ( and not just to visitors to a museum ) and which will exist for ever.

I compiled a book on the battalions of the regiment I am interested in about 10 years ago ( it does need updating ) as a desk top publishing exercise and it gave me a lot of satisfaction and to date about 200 copies have been bought

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img249.jpg (62.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg img375.jpg (71.8 KB, 58 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 18-02-11 at 03:54 PM.
Old 18-02-11, 09:51 AM

I agree with the caution in donations to any museum. Even if everything is 100% today and you are happy with what is promissed etc., if a new curator arrives then suddenly what was important is no longer important and the stuff goes into storage. You also have a theft problem and a lack of appreciation. I believe that if items stay in the hands of collectors, they are much more appreciated and much better looked after. I have had this discussion with other collectors and I believe that if a collection is sold, it lives on and continues to give pleasure. Look at the King collection which is still being sold. I have managed to pick up a few badges from that collection, as have many other forum members. I cherish these items and they have given me much pleasure. The idea of the book is a grand idea, and it need not cost a vast fortune to put it together. Regards Andrew
Old 18-02-11, 12:28 PM

Default Donating a Collection

This Thread has now given me a problem. Let me explain.

Until I had read all the comment above it was my intention to donate my little badge collection to the Royal Signals Museum. This I have advised my son of and was even going to ask the museum if they wanted it.

I would think that I am lucky enough to have an understanding (Her indoors) who allows me to diplay about 90% on the collection around the hall and corridors of the house. (Along with her collection of Lowry prints).
I have the collection set out on a web site www.signalsbadges.co.uk which I would hope enable the entire collection to be veiwed in its fullness, at least initially.

From the comment of members above I now do not know what to do !!!!!!.

The museum may wish to just lock it away. They may wish to only display parts of it hence splitting it up and I have no idea at all about the tax situation.

As there is no other collection of this particular set of badges on the web I deem it as fairly unique.

I now do not know what to do other than suggest to my son that he sell it, when I have finished putting it together.

Any suggetions would be helpful. The web site I assume woulod only be on the web for a short time after my departure to the great collecting federation in the sky so it is not as complete as a book.

I enclose one photo of a small part of the collection that I have on display. All the rest around the house is framed>

Look forward with interest to any suggestions.

Regards

Chris Walker
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Hall Photos 2011 Feb 003.jpg (53.9 KB, 61 views)
Old 18-02-11, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Just a point for all to consider. Museum policies and government regulations and rules vary significantly by jurisdiction. To complicate the discussion further, private museums are under different (ususally un-regulated by government) policies and regulations. The observations I made are based on the understandings of the systems and rules in Canada, and will differ in substance and detail in other jurisdictions.
Old 18-02-11, 04:09 PM

Chris,

I have Alan Harfields book on R.S. Badges and Embellishments and useful though it is, I think a new full colour book of R.S. badges,uniforms etc would be welcome even if it might have a limited market.

Modern digital photography makes good quality colour photographs easier and cheaper to achieve than ever before.

It is one way your collection would be available for reference by future generations. After all Hugh King will be remembered as co-author of the 2 volumes of "Head-dress Badges of the British Army" rather than for his collection which I think only a limited number of people saw in its entirety.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 18-02-11, 04:23 PM

Many years ago, a man named Bill Bone made some books on Western Canadian badges. I don't know how many copies were published, but some collectors do have copies of them. A forum member very kindly gave me a photocopy of the volume on BC badges.
I believe many of the badges were from the collection of a fellow named Charles Hill-Tout.
The book is not complete and there are errors, but there is also a great deal of information, and more importanly, photographs of badges that are not often seen. Some of his sources were First World War veterans who collected badges. This is where personal notes and archives are important and with modern technology, it is easier to share resources.

Phil
Old 18-02-11, 06:22 PM

Default GREAT INFORMATION !!!

Ed, Bill, Mike, P.B., Andrew, Chris, and Phil:

Thank you all so much for taking the time to share your thoughts, insights, opinions and suggestions. All of this information is GREAT! I am especially thankful to Ed for expanding on his initial post (his elaboration has caused me to take a serious second sober pause on my initial plans). I will definitely continue collecting the pieces that I am missing (after all, I would still like the collection to be as complete, and comprehensive, as possible). But I will absolutely investigate P.B.’s great suggestion of creating some type of “publication”; as well I will make contact with the Regiment’s CO to get his insight. You have all given me so MUCH to think about and I truly appreciate that you would take the valuable time out of your schedules to share your words with me on this topic. I will continue monitoring this thread for additional words of wisdom from those of you more educated than myself in these matters. Thanks again everyone!

Duncan
Old 18-02-11, 06:36 PM

I thought it was always best to loan items/collections to museums...that way, they're held accountable and you maintain control over it to some extent.
Old 18-02-11, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dekker View Post
I thought it was always best to loan items/collections to museums...that way, they're held accountable and you maintain control over it to some extent.
I loaned an item to a particular museum (which some clod on this Forum has accused me of never having bothered to visit) and getting the item back took an act of God. Fortunately I had retained the original receipt, but they hadn't and in the course of several years had transferred responsibilty for the item to somebody outside of the museum. I was not pleased.

Phil