British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

View Poll Results: What is your preferred background colour?
Black 11 18.33%
Green 10 16.67%
Grey 8 13.33%
White 31 51.67%
Another colour (please advise!) 0 0%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28-12-17, 05:22 PM

I just did a quick look at various badge reference books and for the most part, white pages seem to be the norm. I did notice that you were planning a “side by side” lay-out and that may determine your choice. In “Ward’s” book, he sometimes puts text and badges on the same page and there is some merit in the fact that the badges have a Black background, The white metal badges seem to look very good in that format. Most of the Brass/Gilt badges look good on a white background. “Owen’s” has mostly black & white photo’s on White pages while the coloured cloth, enamel and plastic seem to be mostly on pastel shaded paper. Whether because of the printing technique employed or deliberate, I cannot say. Renfrew & Renfrew with Cranston in their Colonial Badges books have some stunning pages of artwork employing all that I’ve listed above. As was stated in previous posts,the cost of set-up, the lay-out and format will surely be a factor as will be the publisher/printer involved. Finally, your photography will be criticized negatively if it is not of the highest quality possible. A daunting Job you have ahead of you, I wish you the best of Luck. Best regards, David J. PS, Check your local Library!
Old 29-12-17, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodisedbob View Post
I put my TA on a red backing which does not show them off very well
Bob
Lovely collection there Bob, with three really rare items. Thanks for sharing.
Old 29-12-17, 02:07 AM

Thanks all for the overnight comments. Judging by the poll the strongest preference is for white so will go with that. The different colours can work well and I think I will use that for the associated website I am looking to throw together.

Peter (and Bob), like you've done I plan to mount my small collections of line infantry on red felt as I think that gives a great contrast and is a relevant colour, which is why I also tend to go with the rifle green when mounting my EY items.

I will take further advice from the printer on this too. Comments re photo quality noted and is work in progress - probably my biggest challenge at present.

For info here's a quick example of one of the pages I've put together with badges on white within a bordered box. Again, I am not happy with the quality of the images yet but it is helping me work out layout style etc., and I think the plain white does help here. I'm planning to go with an A4 page size to allow me to illustrate most items at full size.

Thanks again all.

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Example illustration page.JPG (44.0 KB, 25 views)