British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-08-11, 09:35 PM
Mr.P.Dreary

Default Job lot - Wise or Woeful Decision

Got this group for £50 at a flea market earlier today. On brief examination they all looked OK, with the possible exception of the Royal Canadian Dragoons. I believe this is either an example of sand casting or a poor quality fake. I also believe the Sudan Defence Force badge to be locally made. There are several bi-metals in the group all of which display sweat holes. There are also a couple of lapel badges including one for the 'Old Contemptibles'. Unfortunately, most of the badges have had their sliders or loops snipped off. Even so there appears to be one or two reasonably scarce items. I'm still relatively new to this game but I just couldn't walk away from these. Good decision?

Last edited by Mr.P.Dreary; 27-08-11 at 10:03 PM.
Old 27-08-11, 10:08 PM

looks like a nice economy strike middlesex regt badge you have there. imo.

Regards

Phil
Old 27-08-11, 10:21 PM
Banned

Phil,

You might want to rethink that one seeing as the badge shown has / had loops!

Sorry Tony.

Ry
Old 27-08-11, 10:26 PM
Mr.P.Dreary

No problem Ry. All information welcome. The reverse of the Middlesex has very poor definition. I was hoping it was just a weak strike but no matter.
Old 27-08-11, 11:01 PM

Oh yeah, I was on the mobile, didn't look at the back.

That much I have learnt!

Phil
Old 27-08-11, 11:09 PM
Mr.P.Dreary

Looks like it's an OSD collar badge. The unusally large size and inclusion of the scroll threw me.
Old 27-08-11, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

Hard to tell about the RCD. Can you post a closer image of the badge reverse?
Old 28-08-11, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator

All the British badges look OK just need repairing. The Middlesex and the Green Howards are officers collars.
Old 28-08-11, 11:58 AM
Mr.P.Dreary

Alan O - I had a good feeling about this group particularly the British Badges. Not so sure about the Australian badges but it seems likely they'll be OK too. I'd appreciate your thoughts on the Pioneer Corps badge. I'd have thought it was a regulation O/Rs cap badge except for fact it has North/South facing lugs? Realtively poor definiton on the reverse too compared with another I own.

Bill A - There are close-up photos of the RCD in my 'Job Lot from Lewes' album. Be very interested to know your thoughts on this one. I suspect it might be sand cast but have little knowledge of this type of badge. Possibly just a fake though I live in hope.
Old 28-08-11, 12:11 PM

Looks like a nice tidy selection of originals, many of which would be deserving of a visit to the Tamworth badge hospital! Well found. I think £50 was a pretty fair price for what you got.

John
Old 28-08-11, 12:47 PM
Mr.P.Dreary

Thank you John. I was reasonably certain I got a bargain at £50. As an example, I was planning to bid for an Old Contemptibles lapel badge that was up for auction on ebay. I found this group (including OC) just hours before the auction finished. I would've bid £50 hoping to get it for £40. As it turned out the badge sold for £28.
Old 28-08-11, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P.Dreary View Post
I'd appreciate your thoughts on the Pioneer Corps badge. I'd have thought it was a regulation O/Rs cap badge except for fact it has North/South facing lugs? Realtively poor definiton on the reverse too compared with another I own.
The Pioneer Corps badge came with either lugs or slider.

Rgds,
Thomas.
Old 29-08-11, 07:11 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

G'day Mr Dreary

The 2 Aussie rising suns look as if they have had lugs and if so this would suggest that they are WW1 issues, do they have a makers name on the back?, it will be on the flat area between the crown and suns rays.

Regards

Phil.
Old 29-08-11, 09:54 AM
Mr.P.Dreary

Hi Phil,

No makers name on either more's the pity. I was hoping they might be WW1 but know very little about Australian cap badges. There are close-up photos of each badge in this album.

Job lot from Lewes
Old 30-08-11, 02:04 AM

All the British badges are genuine in my opinion and certainly worthy of restoration. The forum does have a resident expert who can accomplish this of course!

CB