British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-08-11, 09:35 AM

Default Kings Liverpool Regiment

What are your thoughts on these two please. Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a1.jpg (58.0 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg a2.jpg (54.0 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg a3.jpg (13.7 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg a4.jpg (56.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg b1.jpg (60.7 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg b2.jpg (53.7 KB, 68 views)
Old 21-08-11, 10:05 AM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hi Rob,

I'm not the expert here but I've never seen the tail joined to the body before nor have I seen a tablet like that.

I would say that the second model is fine ??

Come in Peter or Julian ??

Dave.

PS, The ' Torse ' looks a little strange too......................or is it me ??

DC.
Old 21-08-11, 10:23 AM

Hi Dave, thanks for the speedy reply, I had to google "Torse", I thought it was a northern way of saying "The Horse".
Old 21-08-11, 10:26 AM
Former Member

I like the lugged version and I have a feeling KLR will too?

Andy
Old 21-08-11, 10:43 AM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
Hi Dave, thanks for the speedy reply, I had to google "Torse", I thought it was a northern way of saying "The Horse".
He, He, I like it.....

I will bow to Andy's superior knowledge on your first model and cannot wait for Julian's response, or Peter's of course....

We agree on your second badge, it is fine .

Dave.
Old 21-08-11, 05:45 PM

Note that the first example has no ' in KINGS - I believe this indicates a pre 1926 "unofficial" pattern - which, with the apostophe back in became the 1926 pattern. over to KLR and 8thfoot for a definitive answer.

Tim
Old 21-08-11, 06:18 PM

The first badge is shown in an article in the Kingsman magazine of 1930 and is described as "unofficial 1900-1914"

It is similar to the official post 1926 cap badge but differs ( as Tim says ) in that it lack the apostrophe in KINGS, and the torse ( twisted bar ) on which the horse stands has continual twists ( whereas the post 1926 badge has alternative twists and plain spaces )

A number of these badges have makers names but I have not seen one named in this way. I have about 5 examples of this badge,most if not all of mine have sliders.

I think KLR has a lot more examples of this particular badge than I do and I hope he will add his input in due course.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 21-08-11, 06:38 PM

I dont know how clear this will be,it is short article from the Kingsman Magazine of December 1928 and is called "New Badges for Old" and is about the new issue of cap badges and how they are "... a replica of an Unofficial Cap and Helmet Badge adopted by the 1st Kings twenty five years ago"

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 22-08-11, 07:21 AM

Thanks everyone, that was really interesting, I almost didn't buy the first badge as the lugs looked early yet the badge was of a later style and the Gaunt tablet looks like a piece of a button brazed on, but for £5 I thought I would take a risk, what an exciting hobby this is
Old 22-08-11, 10:46 PM

Default Gaunt Tablet

That funny Gaunt appears on several New Zealand badges, notably smaller ones with little space for the more usual tablet. It can be found on 15th North Auckland Regt collar badges, 16th Waikato Regt collar badges and a couple of others
Old 23-08-11, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

These Gaunt tablets are found on badges that were sold commercially by Gaunts rather than a WD order. They are found on RND, pals bns, other nations and civilian badges. In this case the Kings badge was a regtl purchase.
Old 25-08-11, 11:41 AM

I've been away so didn't see this until now. The first badge is - as A says, a private regimental purchase and dates from about 1903 to 1926. It was worn by the 1st and 2nd Bns whilst overseas (India) - though there is evidence that they occasionally appeared in the west too.There are certainly versions with loops and with sliders, it is not as rare as people think.
The second badge is official Pattern 10042/1926, it was worn up to 1950 - though occasionally seen up to 1958. This particular badge is almost certainly pre (2nd) war.
Old 25-08-11, 11:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
These Gaunt tablets are found on badges that were sold commercially by Gaunts rather than a WD order. They are found on RND, pals bns, other nations and civilian badges. In this case the Kings badge was a regtl purchase.
Hi gents,

A slight detour from the main topic.

Given the above, how would this badge fit into the scheme of things?

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=18465

Ry
Old 25-08-11, 01:31 PM

Hello Ry, I couldn't tell you about RB regimental items I'm afraid. However - and perhaps because the photograph you refer to is out of focus - fake Gaunt plaques abound. I suspect they are being added to otherwise genuine badges but their poor quality is fairly recognisable. J
Old 25-08-11, 02:39 PM

Hi J, that maybe the case on the RB, until I get it. But what about this one. I would have thought as a line regiment it was official purchase WO.

Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EAST LANCASHIRE PINBACK GAUNT.jpg (73.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg EAST LANCASHIRE PINBACK F.jpg (69.9 KB, 26 views)

Tags
kings liverpools, klr