British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-10-17, 03:47 PM

Default Lancers terminology, help

Hello british Gentlemen

why do you call a 17th Lancers cap badge, 17th Lancers motto ?

a motto isn't a cap badge, no ?

Or Glory is a motto, not a badge.....

thanks for answers
cordially
Didier
Old 13-10-17, 05:18 PM

Hi Didier,the 17th,17th/21st,Queens Royal Lancers and now the Royal Lancers have always used the term "Motto" rather than cap badge.
Im sure one of the ex Lancer members will enlighten us as to why they use the term "Motto" rather than cap/beret badge.
Old 13-10-17, 05:54 PM

Because the symbol & wording represent "Death or Glory"

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 13-10-17 at 08:01 PM. Reason: missed out a word.
Old 13-10-17, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just View Post
Hello british Gentlemen

why do you call a 17th Lancers cap badge, 17th Lancers motto ?

a motto isn't a cap badge, no ?

Or Glory is a motto, not a badge.....

thanks for answers
cordially
Didier
Don't call it a badge, you'll be in for some trouble.
Andy
Old 13-10-17, 07:32 PM

Despite what the regiment call it, its interesting that the Ministry of Defence and the manufacturers (Firmin) refer to it as a "cap badge".

Dave.
Old 13-10-17, 08:33 PM

Well, it is worn on a cap, after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcar73 View Post
Despite what the regiment call it, its interesting that the Ministry of Defence and the manufacturers (Firmin) refer to it as a "cap badge".

Dave.
Old 14-10-17, 12:20 PM

'No reason, its just a tradition!' Like many hoary military traditions, there was undoubtedly a reason, good or otherwise, at some point in the past and it is perpetuated now because it's traditional and because 'it distinguishes us from those other [common] regiments.' And what MiniDef chooses to call it is not our concern!

Not too long ago I was part of military displayof WWI uniforms and kit. One of our 'props' was a wooden box containing an aluminium cook pot, insulated with straw to keep the food warm as it as carried up to the trenches. We call it a 'haybox'. The modern Militia [Territorial] types who saw it were absolutley gobsmacked because they call their plastic and metal, high tech insulated food containers 'hayboxes' but have no idea why! Except, of course, 'That's what the RSM calls it!'
Old 14-10-17, 12:32 PM

Sorry to split hairs. That's interesting, but I suspect that when the regiment wish to re-order cap badges they refer to them as such otherwise the "system" would not have a clue what they were asking for. When you say that what the MoD call them is none of your concern, it is when the regiment want a new supply! As you say its a regimental thing. But its a badge and as someone else has already pointed out, its worn on a cap. So, its a cap badge.

Dave.
Old 14-10-17, 12:50 PM
jamesmilitaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcar73 View Post
Sorry to split hairs. That's interesting, but I suspect that when the regiment wish to re-order cap badges they refer to them as such otherwise the "system" would not have a clue what they were asking for. When you say that what the MoD call them is none of your concern, it is when the regiment want a new supply! As you say its a regimental thing. But its a badge and as someone else has already pointed out, its worn on a cap. So, its a cap badge.

Dave.

I beg to disagree Dave. Tradition is hugely important to regiments and those that serve in the regiments become very attached to their traditions. I think that should be respected. In my own regiment a 2nd Lieutenant was known as a Cornet abbreviated to Ct. This did cause some issues when the said officer went on a course or had travel documents inspected but once people receive an explanation then they will understand. I suspect that in the case of the Motto those in the supply chain would be aware and of course the item would probably have a part number which would be quoted the the QM staff.
Old 14-10-17, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter monahan View Post
'No reason, its just a tradition!' Like many hoary military traditions, there was undoubtedly a reason, good or otherwise, at some point in the past and it is perpetuated now because it's traditional and because 'it distinguishes us from those other [common] regiments.' And what MiniDef chooses to call it is not our concern!

Not too long ago I was part of military displayof WWI uniforms and kit. One of our 'props' was a wooden box containing an aluminium cook pot, insulated with straw to keep the food warm as it as carried up to the trenches. We call it a 'haybox'. The modern Militia [Territorial] types who saw it were absolutley gobsmacked because they call their plastic and metal, high tech insulated food containers 'hayboxes' but have no idea why! Except, of course, 'That's what the RSM calls it!'
Ha ha!
We used the heavy metal insulated containers which we called hayboxes, also the Norgies (Norwegian Containers) which were plastic. The RAF had posh ones which had a little tray of charcoal that would slip in, they caleed theirs Hotlocks.
Thanks for the memories lol
Paul
Old 14-10-17, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmilitaria View Post
I beg to disagree Dave. Tradition is hugely important to regiments and those that serve in the regiments become very attached to their traditions. I think that should be respected. In my own regiment a 2nd Lieutenant was known as a Cornet abbreviated to Ct. This did cause some issues when the said officer went on a course or had travel documents inspected but once people receive an explanation then they will understand. I suspect that in the case of the Motto those in the supply chain would be aware and of course the item would probably have a part number which would be quoted the the QM staff.
The QM staff quoted the part number, and the items would arrive in packets marked:- "Royal Lancers No:-1 Dress Cap Badge". I'm looking at a sealed packet as I speak. I don't in any way disrespect their tradition. I'm simply telling it as it is.

Dave.
Old 14-10-17, 03:39 PM

Im still growing a replacement ear on my stomach to replace the one that was chewed off by the QRL guy at the other end of phone,who was answering my query about their then new capbadge. Its a "Motto" young fellow he said.
No doubt in 50 years time when there will be 3 Cavalry regts left in the army ,it will still be there and still called a"Motto" .
Old 15-10-17, 03:45 AM

The Coldstream Guards always refer to their cap badge as a Cap Star, it doesn't stop that or the Lancers head dress badges being a cap badge but different regiments have different traditions. Their is nothing uniform about British uniform which is what makes our hobby so fascinating,
Old 15-10-17, 02:02 PM

Dave

I was being more than a little facetious, but also trying to point out that what the 'box-wallahs' at MiniDef call a thing would be of little interest to the serving soldier in the Queen's Own Loyal Blogshires. If his Segeant calls it a 'cap pansy', it's a cap pansy. QED.

When the QM has to sully himself by ordering more, presumably he uses the approved number code or drops into the language of the civil servants with whom he wishes to communicate. But that doesn't mean he has to like it!
Old 15-10-17, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter monahan View Post
Dave

I was being more than a little facetious, but also trying to point out that what the 'box-wallahs' at MiniDef call a thing would be of little interest to the serving soldier in the Queen's Own Loyal Blogshires. If his Segeant calls it a 'cap pansy', it's a cap pansy. QED.

When the QM has to sully himself by ordering more, presumably he uses the approved number code or drops into the language of the civil servants with whom he wishes to communicate. But that doesn't mean he has to like it!
Now you're referring to what the rest of the army calls the badge of the Int. Corps resting on its laurels.