British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-09-11, 10:24 AM

Thumbs up

I found this a very interesting thread even though it's so far outside of my normal remit. It's amazing what knowledge lurks on this forum.
Old 30-10-17, 07:52 AM

The yellow star on red square being North Malaya District, is yellow star on black square South Malaya District?
Old 30-10-17, 11:45 AM

The printed 14 point star version of the yellow star on black square is identified in my collection as Malaysian Army Static Units (the same 14 point star on brown was Malaysian Home Guard and on red was Malaysian Army Field Force Units). I also have a printed 11 point star - yellow on red. Perhaps it's this variant worn by North Malaya District? Mike
Old 30-10-17, 01:24 PM

I've seen an article somewhere labelling the yellow on red (I think the 14 point version) as something like "Malaysian Federation 1st Division".

I have a yellow on red 11 point which I take to be North Malaya District, also an 11 point yellow on black.
I'm wondering (particulary as the Malaya Command sign was an 11 point star yellow on red (North?) above black (South?)) if the yellow on black 11 point may be South Malaya District?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (44.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 001 (2).jpg (49.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 30-10-17, 01:58 PM

Default North Malaya District

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
I've seen an article somewhere labelling the yellow on red (I think the 14 point version) as something like "Malaysian Federation 1st Division".

I have a yellow on red 11 point which I take to be North Malaya District, also an 11 point yellow on black.
I'm wondering (particulary as the Malaya Command sign was an 11 point star yellow on red (North?) above black (South?)) if the yellow on black 11 point may be South Malaya District?
In Oct 53 Northern Malaya District was converted to 1st Federal Division - and logically would take over the same sign. Four years later this was titled 1st Federal Division/District reflecting the dual role of Operational Formation and Administrative Group. To add to the confusing changes of role and title, by Jul 62, up North there was North Malaya Sub-District. The fate of South Malaya District is even less clear! Mike
Old 30-10-17, 02:07 PM

I would say thank you but I'm too confused.........
Old 04-11-17, 03:28 PM

Some clarification perhaps - from John Waring himself. Mike
Malaysian Identifications from FS.01.jpg
Old 04-11-17, 03:41 PM

Thank you - of the three signs illustrated I've only seen the West Malaya District one.
I know it sounds strange but I have an idea that years ago I saw the yellow star on red or black square described as Army Fire Service, possibly in a Guido Rosignoli book.
Old 04-11-17, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Here (left) is an example of the sign of North Malaya District. 11 points dates it to 1957-63. On federation with Singapore, Sarawak and Sabah joining Malaya to form Malaysia, three more points were added. However when Singapore realised it could do better as a sovereign state and left Malaysia, I don't know whether a range of 13 point signs was introduced. Also shown is an example of the Malaya Comd sign and two examples of the sign of HQ West Malaya/West Malaysia.
Attachment 47324Attachment 47325
Thank you. I had not paid attention to the 11 and 14 star difference.
The current flag has a 14p-point star and 14 stripes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img353.jpg (30.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 05-11-17, 05:58 PM

If I may go back to the start of this thread which asked why there were two signs on the left arm of the JG jacket...

In August 1955 GOC-in-C FARELF asked the War Office Dress Committee if all ranks of the Brigade of Gurkhas when not serving with 17th Gurkha Infantry Division - whose formation sign he noted was now ‘two white kukris on green [sic]’ - could wear two white kukris on black as an arm flash to indicate their membership of the Brigade of Gurkhas.

The Dress Committee’s chairman, pointing out that the green and black backgrounds might fade with wear and be confused, suggested that the white on green version should be worn on both arms when serving with the Division but on one arm only when serving elsewhere, a suggestion the Gurkha Brigade’s Liaison Officer was asked to put to FARELF.

Further discussion in November 1955 reached a compromise; the divisional sign would remain crossed kukris on green whilst those serving with another formation would wear crossed kukris on black on the left arm only together with ‘the formation sign of the formation etc to which they are attached’ .

Jon
Old 06-11-17, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
If I may go back to the start of this thread which asked why there were two signs on the left arm of the JG jacket...

In August 1955 GOC-in-C FARELF asked the War Office Dress Committee if all ranks of the Brigade of Gurkhas when not serving with 17th Gurkha Infantry Division - whose formation sign he noted was now ‘two white kukris on green [sic]’ - could wear two white kukris on black as an arm flash to indicate their membership of the Brigade of Gurkhas.

The Dress Committee’s chairman, pointing out that the green and black backgrounds might fade with wear and be confused, suggested that the white on green version should be worn on both arms when serving with the Division but on one arm only when serving elsewhere, a suggestion the Gurkha Brigade’s Liaison Officer was asked to put to FARELF.

Further discussion in November 1955 reached a compromise; the divisional sign would remain crossed kukris on green whilst those serving with another formation would wear crossed kukris on black on the left arm only together with ‘the formation sign of the formation etc to which they are attached’ .

Jon
Great info Jon, I'm looking forward to that cloth book of yours.
Keith