British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-04-17, 03:57 AM

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...psqpyrrel7.jpg

Very nice, Brent! Well done!
John
Old 07-05-17, 07:59 AM

The following megaphone is a recent addition to my collection, and although not badge related it is worth sharing.
I have traced the use of megaphones by the NZ Military as far back as early 1907, my one sadly is not dated but I would date it between 1910 to the 1930s, it has a small arrow mark stamped in the leather, and hand written in very faded black Indian ink are the words “Auckland Machine Gun Section.”

Old 09-06-17, 08:56 AM

The following 3rd Company NZMGC Star listed on Trademe closed last night.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...6028&archive=1

Interestingly it is the very same NZMGC Star that is discussed in posts #427 & #428 and was attributed to William Riddell, the interesting part of course is that no mention is made of Riddell in this latest auction.

Old 09-06-17, 09:01 PM

Seems like a bargain at that price??!!
Dan
Old 11-06-17, 08:48 AM

Travis George Smith 76023 wearing a rare variation MG proficiency worsted patch

Last edited by pukman; 11-06-17 at 08:57 AM.
Old 25-04-19, 08:00 AM

Being ANZAC day, I thought I would share the latest acquisition to enter Atilla’s war room, it is a little moth eaten and stained, but I am absolutely stoked.
It was an Ebay find and had a little bit of a bidding war in the last minute, but still managed to get it at an absolute bargain.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-WW1-Ne...53.m2749.l2649

Fortunately for me, this NZMGC badged officers tunic is un-named, otherwise it would have been well out of my price range, but with a quick bit of research I have been able to identify that this tunic formerly belonged to 2nd Lieutenant William Woods (Service Number 8/508), who won his Military Medal and bar during WW1 while serving with the NZMGC.

The yellow star on a black square that is stitched on back below the collar is that of the 1st Company, N.Z. Machine Gun Corps, which 2nd Lieutenant William Woods was a member of.
The service stripes on the lower right sleeve are correct for William Woods period of service, as is the single wound stipe on the lower left sleeve, which was for a gunshot wound to the wrist that Woods received while serving with the Otago Infantry Battalion at Gallipoli on the 9th August 1915.

Woods Transferred to the No.1 Machine Gun Company, NZMGC on the 19th March 1916.
He was promoted Lance-Corporal on the 27th June 1916, promoted Corporal on the 22nd May 1917, and promoted Sergeant on the 1st August 1917.
Woods was nominated by the GOC to be trained in the Officer Cadet Units for Commission in the NZEF on the 11th February 1918 and was detached to England for “Officer Training Cadets” on the 21st February 1918.
The date of Woods joining the Officer Cadet Unit is the 8th March 1918.
Woods was appointed 2nd Lieutenant on the 10th September 1918. (NZEF Order – 13-9-18)
He embarked for New Zealand on the 18th January 1919 and transferred to the 8th (Southland) Regiment on the 2nd July 1920.

Military Medal
Awarded Military Medal, act of Gallantry in Field (NZEF Orders 30-6-17)
London Gazette 16 August 1917, p8430, Rec No 967
Corporal, 1st Company, N.Z. Machine Gun Corps
For his gallant conduct in the field throughout the operations on the Messines
Ridge (7-6-17 to 9-6-17). On the morning of the 7th he personally captured a
German machine gun which afterwards was used with good effect against the enemy. The following day his Officer Lieut Polson, was wounded, and he took charge of the sub-section, handled the gun with much ability and kept his men under splendid control during very heavy hostile shelling.
Bar Military Medal
Awarded Bar to the Military Medal, act of Gallantry in Field (NZEF Orders 15-11-17)
London Gazette 23 February 1918, p2412, Rec No 1721
Sergeant, 1st Company, N.Z. Machine Gun Corps
Near Passchendaele on 12th October 1917. For great bravery and magnificent devotion to duty. He was in charge of a sub-section, when held up by the enemy machine guns, he moved forward himself, located an enemy trench occupied by a large number of the enemy. Sergeant Wood succeeded in getting his two guns into action, and kept the enemy down at this point.
Later when the Officer in charge of another section had been wounded, he went back and succeeded in bringing the section forward and directed them while in action against hostile snipers and machine guns. He was undaunted throughout the operation.
Old 25-04-19, 11:39 AM

Superb, well done and thanks for posting these photographs.

Simon.
Old 25-04-19, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawthorn View Post
Superb, well done and thanks for posting these photographs.

Simon.
I agree, A great acquisition for your collection, Brent.
Cheers, John
Old 26-04-19, 08:11 AM

Thankyou Simon and John, it is truly a remarkable find, there were only two Military medals and bars awarded to the NZMGC, one to William Woods and one to Sergeant William Napier Thom.

This following picture shows William Woods wearing a white officer cadets band over the top of his puggaree and his brand new officers tunic, so would have been taken sometime between March to September 1918.

Cheers Brent

Old 26-04-19, 07:58 PM

Here are a few photos of William that I have recently put on my Face book page 'Southland soldiers and nurses'
Very nice find, I am sure family members that I have been in touch with will like to see these photos
of the jacket.

''Unknown warriors of the NZEF'' FB page
Attached Images
File Type: jpg William Woods MM.jpg (17.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg William Woods Ngapara Lads 2.jpeg.jpg (22.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg woods william.jpg (70.7 KB, 12 views)
Old 29-04-19, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
Being ANZAC day, I thought I would share the latest acquisition to enter Atilla’s war room, it is a little moth eaten and stained, but I am absolutely stoked.
It was an Ebay find and had a little bit of a bidding war in the last minute, but still managed to get it at an absolute bargain.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-WW1-Ne...53.m2749.l2649

Fortunately for me, this NZMGC badged officers tunic is un-named, otherwise it would have been well out of my price range, but with a quick bit of research I have been able to identify that this tunic formerly belonged to 2nd Lieutenant William Woods (Service Number 8/508), who won his Military Medal and bar during WW1 while serving with the NZMGC.

The yellow star on a black square that is stitched on back below the collar is that of the 1st Company, N.Z. Machine Gun Corps, which 2nd Lieutenant William Woods was a member of.
The service stripes on the lower right sleeve are correct for William Woods period of service, as is the single wound stipe on the lower left sleeve, which was for a gunshot wound to the wrist that Woods received while serving with the Otago Infantry Battalion at Gallipoli on the 9th August 1915.

Woods Transferred to the No.1 Machine Gun Company, NZMGC on the 19th March 1916.
He was promoted Lance-Corporal on the 27th June 1916, promoted Corporal on the 22nd May 1917, and promoted Sergeant on the 1st August 1917.
Woods was nominated by the GOC to be trained in the Officer Cadet Units for Commission in the NZEF on the 11th February 1918 and was detached to England for “Officer Training Cadets” on the 21st February 1918.
The date of Woods joining the Officer Cadet Unit is the 8th March 1918.
Woods was appointed 2nd Lieutenant on the 10th September 1918. (NZEF Order – 13-9-18)
He embarked for New Zealand on the 18th January 1919 and transferred to the 8th (Southland) Regiment on the 2nd July 1920.

Military Medal
Awarded Military Medal, act of Gallantry in Field (NZEF Orders 30-6-17)
London Gazette 16 August 1917, p8430, Rec No 967
Corporal, 1st Company, N.Z. Machine Gun Corps
For his gallant conduct in the field throughout the operations on the Messines
Ridge (7-6-17 to 9-6-17). On the morning of the 7th he personally captured a
German machine gun which afterwards was used with good effect against the enemy. The following day his Officer Lieut Polson, was wounded, and he took charge of the sub-section, handled the gun with much ability and kept his men under splendid control during very heavy hostile shelling.
Bar Military Medal
Awarded Bar to the Military Medal, act of Gallantry in Field (NZEF Orders 15-11-17)
London Gazette 23 February 1918, p2412, Rec No 1721
Sergeant, 1st Company, N.Z. Machine Gun Corps
Near Passchendaele on 12th October 1917. For great bravery and magnificent devotion to duty. He was in charge of a sub-section, when held up by the enemy machine guns, he moved forward himself, located an enemy trench occupied by a large number of the enemy. Sergeant Wood succeeded in getting his two guns into action, and kept the enemy down at this point.
Later when the Officer in charge of another section had been wounded, he went back and succeeded in bringing the section forward and directed them while in action against hostile snipers and machine guns. He was undaunted throughout the operation.

Out of interest , dimensions of the patch please ?
Old 29-04-19, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukman View Post
Out of interest , dimensions of the patch please ?
The black square is 55mm vertical and 57mm Horizontal.
The yellow star measures 45mm from point to point measured horizontally.

My four other machine gun patches all have a black square measurement of 51mm with a plus or minus of 1 to 2mm.
Three of the stars measure 45mm and one is 42mm from point to point.
Old 30-04-19, 07:05 AM

Here is a 5th Coy star with original tunic still attached.The black square edge has not been cut straight but measures aprox 47mm at the widest & 46mm at narrowest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190430_185758.jpg (98.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20190430_185622.jpg (85.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 30-04-19, 10:13 AM

Nice, if we try rotating it 90 degrees to the right, what would be the measurement from point to point of the star measured horizontally?

Last edited by atillathenunns; 30-04-19 at 10:23 AM.
Old 30-04-19, 10:40 AM

Thanks Brent, when i posted the photo ended up the wrong way around! The star measures 35mm wide from the points you marked.