British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > All other Colonial Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-05-14, 10:58 PM

Default British South Africa Company Buttons

The British South Africa Company was granted a Royal Charter authorising it to "make treaties, promulgate laws, preserve the peace, maintain a police force and acquire new concessions" in the territories which were to become Southern and Northern Rhodesia (Zambia & Zimbabwe).

Does anyone have any information on BSAC buttons. My guess is that they would have been used during company rule 1889 - 1923, but not sure on what department or agency would have made use of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg British South Africa Company button.jpeg (89.5 KB, 41 views)
Old 11-05-14, 06:53 AM

The British South Africa Company was granted a royal charter in 1889 which defined its powers, but the company was in operation long before that date, and my first thoughts on this button is a uniform button for the Pioneer Corps, raised for the occupation of Mashonaland in 1890.

The Pioneer Corps was disbanded in September 1890, but elements of it were used in an attempt to drive a road to the sea in 1891, with its members wearing such items of uniform as they possessed and I think it likely this pattern button might have had another airing.

By the time the Matabele War came round in 1893/94 units like the Mashonaland Mounted Police had been formed, along with the Mashonaland Constabulary, the latter had its own pattern button of a crown over the letters 'M.C.' but the Matabeleland Mounted Police who came into existence in 1893 wore a brass button common to that of the Mashonaland Mounted Police, and this button consisted of the lion and tusk of the British South Africa Company, and the words 'Rhodesia Mounted Police'

So with individual unit buttons being in use for units formed after the raising of the Union Flag in September 1890, my bet is still on your button being for the Pioneer Corps, and it may well have seen service during the Matabele Rebellion of 1896/97, and/or the spill of the rebellion into Mashonaland in 1897.

The Union Flag raised at Fort Salisbury in September 1890 had the lion and tusk crest of the British South Africa Company in its centre.

I will see what if I can find anything about it in the reference books in my library, but until then I suggest it is a uniform button for the Pioneer Corps, kitted out in South Africa for the Occupation of Mashonaland in 1890, and probably still in use by individuals in 1897.

Just as you suggest, it may well have been in use by other organisatons and individuals, e.g. District Commissioner's staff, during the existence of the British South Africa Company, and in the above notes my thoughts have been as to its origin and its use by 'the military' for want of a better word.

Regards,

John

Last edited by johnG; 11-05-14 at 07:01 AM.
Old 11-05-14, 08:07 AM

Here is my anodised aluminium BSAC button. Staybright buttons were made after c.1950.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BSAC.jpg (36.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 11-05-14, 08:44 AM

As indicated by 'btns' the British South Africa Company continued in existence long after its administration of Rhodesia was taken over in 1923, and is in fact still a registered company today, but a non-trading one.

During its active existence it was involved in one way or another in a number of para military organisaions up to its merger with other mineral and mining interests in 1964, and a button of this pattern could well have been worn by one or other of them.

Looking at the photograph of the button which started this thread it does look to me to be an old brass one, hence my associating its origins, and I do stress origins, with the Pioneer Column but it is interesting to know it was still being manufactured in the stay brite era, but I do not know who would have worn it in that form, as my interest is in early Rhodesian history.

Any thought 'btns' on who in the BSAC would have worn the type of button in your possession?

Regards,

John

Last edited by johnG; 11-05-14 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-05-14, 09:22 AM

I have just had a blinding flash of illumination...inspiration....whatever.

My thoughts were solidly on the military, and the fore runner of the British South Africa Police, and I think the theory still holds good, but how about that button being associated with the BSAC programme of building and maintaining railways. The Cape to Cairo enterprise comes immediately to mind, and the continued existence of the tracks laid during that venture.

Perhaps we are looking at a button also worn by railway employees......back to the drawing board.

Regards,

John

Last edited by johnG; 11-05-14 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-05-14, 11:44 AM

LOL, at the charter, more like theft beyond criminal imagination, the companies coat of arms was all prominant and featured at their offices in St Swithins Lane a great deal.
I do like your button though, the companies own forces normally wore their Lion and Tusk rather than the coat of arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defendersoftheempire View Post
The British South Africa Company was granted a Royal Charter authorising it to "make treaties, promulgate laws, preserve the peace, maintain a police force and acquire new concessions" in the territories which were to become Southern and Northern Rhodesia (Zambia & Zimbabwe).

Does anyone have any information on BSAC buttons. My guess is that they would have been used during company rule 1889 - 1923, but not sure on what department or agency would have made use of them.
Old 15-05-14, 11:28 AM

This button is a very interesting one.

My tickeys worth - I tend to agree that the Pioneer Column wore a plain Lion and Tusk type button in keeping with the centre of the Company flag and the central emblem of the BSA Company Police badge. Have attached the "bits" I have in the collection to illustrate this. Regards. Dudley
Old 15-05-14, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnG View Post
Any thought 'btns' on who in the BSAC would have worn the type of button in your possession?
John
I am afraid not. I remember buying hundreds of buttons from a huge international police collection. Each button had a sticker with a number. Unfortunately the trader did not get any list. Some buttons have remained a mystery.
Old 15-05-14, 05:42 PM

Hi Btns,

Your mention of police buttons is interesting, as the force was once called 'British South Africa Company Police', before the word 'Company' was dropped and it became the B.S.A.P.

I did look in 'The Regiment', 'The History and Uniform of the BSA Police' by R.Hamley, but found no reference to this button, but it looks like a line worth pursuing.

Edited to add: Just realised, your button is A/A, which puts it long after the word 'Company' was dropped so yours is not a police button, but I wonder about the brass one which started this thread...... perhaps a BSAC Police button .........

Later: Negative. I have found a line drawing of a 'Company' button as worn by the BSACP. Lion and tusk in the centre over the word 'Police', surrounded by the words 'British South Africa Company'

Regards,

John

Last edited by johnG; 15-05-14 at 06:23 PM.
Old 16-05-14, 06:58 AM

Default BSA Police button

My early B.S.A. Police button (1898-1900)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZWPO008E.jpg (13.8 KB, 9 views)