British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-07-15, 01:22 PM

Default 18th infantry division flashes

Look good to me but not so commonly seen because of the fate of the Division being sent into Singapore just weeks before its surrender and most went into the bag for the duration.

Includes 3x mint unused and a uniform removed pair.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/18th_I...United_Kingdom)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18th inf div 1.jpg (42.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 18th inf div 2.jpg (43.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 18th inf div 3.jpg (69.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 18th inf div 4.jpg (38.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 18th inf div 5.jpg (44.7 KB, 13 views)

Jerry
Old 27-07-15, 11:17 AM

Some more pics if anyone is interested to see these uncommonly found patches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18th inf div flashes obverse.jpg (43.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 18th inf div flashes reverse.jpg (44.9 KB, 7 views)

Jerry
Old 27-07-15, 11:50 AM

Jerry,

I am only a dabbler in WW2 cloth but from what I can see they look great.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 27-07-15, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Jerry,

I am only a dabbler in WW2 cloth but from what I can see they look great.

regards
Thanks Simon,

I had no doubts on them, I posted them because they are not seen very often and thought some here would like to see them, perhaps I was wrong or they were happy to look but had nothing to comment. Perhaps there was nothing to say.

Jerry
Old 27-07-15, 12:02 PM

Default 18 Div

Jerry,

The used pair look just like my pair, and I'm happy with them. I don't own an un-issued specimen (yet) so I cannot comment on them.

I know there are repro versions floating about. I tend to look at the direction of warp/weft in the cloth. The Calico Printers Association Ltd who made most of the printed insignia used to print at a diagonal to the way the material was made, giving badges a diagonal line look to the threads. Most repro stuff tends to have warp/weft at right angles to the printed design. Additionally, original designs tended to bleed through to the reverse whereas modern badges don't have the reverse image visible.

Stephen.
Old 27-07-15, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
Jerry,

The used pair look just like my pair, and I'm happy with them. I don't own an un-issued specimen (yet) so I cannot comment on them.

I know there are repro versions floating about. I tend to look at the direction of warp/weft in the cloth. The Calico Printers Association Ltd who made most of the printed insignia used to print at a diagonal to the way the material was made, giving badges a diagonal line look to the threads. Most repro stuff tends to have warp/weft at right angles to the printed design. Additionally, original designs tended to bleed through to the reverse whereas modern badges don't have the reverse image visible.

Stephen.
Hi Stephen,

Thanks, all the sets are printed on the diagonal and as can be seen the design is visible on the reverse. As I posted I was happy all were good but it is always better if others are willing and able to add confirmation.

It is appreciated.

Jerry
Old 27-07-15, 03:25 PM

A splendid collection of 18 Inf Div signs. I do not have access to the reference at the moment but some 25 years ago in a letter from and RE Sgt and veteran of R Force who told me that the formation signs of both 18 Inf Div and 76 Inf Div were both used for deception purposes. He sent me two printed and mint 76 Inf Div signs that he and the other members of his "Special" (ie deception) Coy RE were issued with shortly before D Day. In the event they did not wear them in Normandy but they did simulate 76 If Div's presence there (actually at about the same time 76 Inf Div was being disbanded in England). He didn't see the 18 Inf Div sign being worn in his time in R Force, but believed that the sign (he referred to it as the "windmill" was worn mid-War. An early example of the 18 Inf Div sign being worn. Mike
18 Inf Div_alfred king 1 commando 4.jpg
Old 27-07-15, 03:37 PM

Thanks Mike and an interesting extra bit of history.

Jerry
Old 27-07-15, 05:42 PM

Hi Mike, any significance in the sign being circular? Best wishes Mike
Old 27-07-15, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnaught View Post
Hi Mike, any significance in the sign being circular? Best wishes Mike
I have often wondered. This is a member of 5 (or 6) Royal Norfolks in 53 Inf Bde. Given that all these badges are being worn on a greatcoat I believe that either the Cpl in the image got his nimble fingered mother or wife to put the flashes together at home or, alternatively, a group of soldiers has a greatcoat badged up and loaned it to those having portrait photos taken. The 18 Inf Div sign looks to me as if it is a combination of embroidered design on appliqued felt. The circular format have been copied from a vehicle sign.
Also on the subject of 18 Inf Div signs, I seem to recall seeing the stage play "The Long and the Short and the Tall" in Streatham c 1959 the cast were badged 18 Inf Div. Mike