British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-12-16, 01:46 PM

Default Recent RFC Pick Up - Good or Bad ?

Afternoon all ...

I spotted this the other week in a box of bits a friend picked up at the local carboot .. after badgering him about it he let me have it from him for a reasonable amount ...that is if it is a good one

After looking through the posts at similar threads it appears to be ok .. lugged with voided crown and a connecting 'bridge' from the top of the F to the crown.

But opinions welcomed...

Cheers

Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RFC~1.jpg (82.6 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg RFC~2.jpg (101.9 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg RFC~3.jpg (55.9 KB, 117 views)
Old 13-01-17, 05:41 PM

Hi Gary. As no one else has replied I'll just make a small comment. My understanding of 'the bridge' on RFC badges is the small rectangular shape you can clearly see on this unvoided badge between the top of the 'F' and the crown. Although this is an unvoided badge, I believe the presence of this 'bridge' is always considered a bad sign, regardless of the varient. The good news is, your example quite clearly doesn't have the dreaded 'bridge'. The bad news is, the absence of the 'bridge' does not ,of itself, guarantee a genuine badge. I'd have to leave others to comment further. I think one problem with RFC badges is not just that they've been copied in large nos, but copied for a long long time. Best regards, Mike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15 (1).jpg (116.1 KB, 137 views)
Old 31-01-17, 01:18 PM

Hi Mike ... many thanks for your reply ... was beginning to think that after 300 odd views it was not worthy of an opinion...

I understand from your reply that I have mis-interpreted the meaning of the bridge and see it clearly on your example ... which I am taking to be a copy ?

I also appreciate that these badges have been reproduced for such a long time the chances of finding a good un are less and less .. just hoped a few more of the very knowledgeable RFC/RAF collectors might have jumped in with a view.

Many thanks

Gary
Old 31-01-17, 02:15 PM

This is my genuine example:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=46820
Old 01-02-17, 11:39 AM

Simply just from the photographs, I'd certainly say it's original, I cannot see anything I don't like about it, Freddy Sykes lads were considered rather glamorous, as was the Corps from it's inception and that glamour has endured over the years, which is reflected in some of the laughable prices now being sort for the humble and very common cap badge, so we are forced to ask what was the reasonable amount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landyman101 View Post
Afternoon all ...

I spotted this the other week in a box of bits a friend picked up at the local carboot .. after badgering him about it he let me have it from him for a reasonable amount ...that is if it is a good one

After looking through the posts at similar threads it appears to be ok .. lugged with voided crown and a connecting 'bridge' from the top of the F to the crown.

But opinions welcomed...

Cheers

Gary
Old 06-02-17, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I understand from your reply that I have mis-interpreted the meaning of the bridge and see it clearly on your example ... which I am taking to be a copy ?
Hi Gary. There is a body of opinion that ALL unvoided examples are copies/fakes (good to bear in mind before you go searching for one). This example definitely is. Acquired in the early 70s. Mike
Old 06-02-17, 05:33 PM

What would be the concensus on these?
Bz and brass caps & collars.

Note the differences in manufacture between both sets, especially the lower voiding of the bz examples andbetween crown and 'F' of the bz collar.

I believe all are authentic but would welcome comments

GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RFC.jpg (53.1 KB, 57 views)
Old 16-02-17, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Simply just from the photographs, I'd certainly say it's original, I cannot see anything I don't like about it, Freddy Sykes lads were considered rather glamorous, as was the Corps from it's inception and that glamour has endured over the years, which is reflected in some of the laughable prices now being sort for the humble and very common cap badge, so we are forced to ask what was the reasonable amount?
Hi Frank ... thanks for your opinion

As to the cost ... well as I was not sure as to its origins I stumped up the princely sum of £15:00 ... so was never going to be completely heartbroken if I had a duffer .. just wanted one to put with a WW1 RFC/RAF trio medal group to a fitter who once served on 101 Squadron.

And thanks to all who replied ...
Cheers
Gary

Last edited by Landyman101; 16-02-17 at 11:06 AM.
Old 16-02-17, 06:49 PM

£15 is very little money these days!

Quote:
Hi Frank ... thanks for your opinion

As to the cost ... well as I was not sure as to its origins I stumped up the princely sum of £15:00 ... so was never going to be completely heartbroken if I had a duffer .. just wanted one to put with a WW1 RFC/RAF trio medal group to a fitter who once served on 101 Squadron.

And thanks to all who replied ...
Cheers
Gary