British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-07-17, 07:29 PM

Many thanks everyone. Interesting and useful info.

Regards

Martyn
Old 19-07-17, 07:38 AM

A recent pick up that came on a postwar german beret, but the badge had ben on there a long time and I'm not liable to discount it because of that. It is curved and feels some what thinner than others I have and have handled. The crown is off putting to me, partly due to the lowness to which it sits on the canopy. This doesn't look right to me, I don't think the stamping on the crown is very good, but the usual die fault isn't there I'd look for and the feathers seem ok-ish.

If anyone can confirm/deny (I have my own suspicions, but before it gets made into a French para badge for an upcoming display I'd like to check it's not real ).

Thanks...
Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7612.jpg (62.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender 10.jpg (55.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 19-07-17, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Tom

Compare it to the one in the 'sweetheart parachute regt' thread below this one about a converted badge and it's a match.

Alan
Old 19-07-17, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post
A recent pick up that came on a postwar german beret, but the badge had ben on there a long time and I'm not liable to discount it because of that. It is curved and feels some what thinner than others I have and have handled. The crown is off putting to me, partly due to the lowness to which it sits on the canopy. This doesn't look right to me, I don't think the stamping on the crown is very good, but the usual die fault isn't there I'd look for and the feathers seem ok-ish.

If anyone can confirm/deny (I have my own suspicions, but before it gets made into a French para badge for an upcoming display I'd like to check it's not real ).

Thanks...
Tom
Hi Tom,

This badge used to be thought of as not genuine by some collectors because it had parallel chute lines on the left hand side. I have noticed recently however that this pattern has become more popular and generally accepted as ok.

Personally I am keeping an open mind about it, I have on one occasion seen one with a post war group of medals which apparently came straight from the family.
Although I have not yet seen one on a WW2 beret with provenance it may be the case that this is a post war pattern as there eight post war years of King's crown which is sometimes forgotten by collectors. I have also seen these sell on eBay for between £15 and £25.

I have a couple of these in my collection and would advise that you find a cheap fake, die flaw in the LHS wing (with the pointy wing tips) badge to turn into a French example for display.

Jack
Old 19-07-17, 11:23 AM

Thanks Jack and Alan. An even better buy then.... I reckon in that case it's probably a veteran piece given the beret, or possibly just used for display, so I'll keep it around for now

I got it in a large lot for £31..... and someone hadn't looked at their belts.... one is indeed a nice para regiment belt, and the other other... was a Zimbabwe para regiment belt

Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack8 View Post
Hi Tom,

This badge used to be thought of as not genuine by some collectors because it had parallel chute lines on the left hand side. I have noticed recently however that this pattern has become more popular and generally accepted as ok.

Personally I am keeping an open mind about it, I have on one occasion seen one with a post war group of medals which apparently came straight from the family.
Although I have not yet seen one on a WW2 beret with provenance it may be the case that this is a post war pattern as there eight post war years of King's crown which is sometimes forgotten by collectors. I have also seen these sell on eBay for between £15 and £25.

I have a couple of these in my collection and would advise that you find a cheap fake, die flaw in the LHS wing (with the pointy wing tips) badge to turn into a French example for display.

Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7611.jpg (82.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7610.jpg (72.8 KB, 6 views)