British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-05-15, 05:37 PM

Default Airborne Stuff

Hey guys. I'm totally ignorant of the era on all of these. Matter of factly, all I know is they're Canadian Airborne! Someone want to give me a rundown on them, as well as if any may be repros? The collar badges have a silvered back with two clutchpins, the cap badge has a slider. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2216.jpg (65.5 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2217.jpg (101.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2218.jpg (76.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2219.jpg (88.0 KB, 44 views)
Old 17-05-15, 08:26 PM

Default Regarding Airborne Stuff

With the exception of the Para qualification that is second from the top, everything is post-Unification issue, that is after 1969. I don't think the pre-Unification wing is WWII issue, more likely Korean War era. Closer to 1969, the leaf took on a more realistic 'leaf' look.

The shoulder title at the top was a trial issue that was produced in the early to mid 70's, when regimental badges were being reintroduced. It was designed, produced and sent out, but ultimately rejected with the bulk being released to the civvie market.

The remainder is all 70's issue. The hat badge for the Canadian Airborne Regiment, I believe is the second issue as it appears to be anodised. The first issue was plain brass and white metal. The two 'OSONS' badges have been discussed elsewhere on the Forum. The one on the left was worn on the Canadian Forces (CF) Service Dress (the 'Greens'). The one on the right was worn on the DPM jump jacket. The CF Para wings look to be the first issue (early 70's) as they don't appear to be padded. Later versions were. Lastly, the collar badges are the standard pattern worn by the CABR until they were disbanded in the 90's.

Hopes this helps. As always here, pics of the back help so much more.

Stay safe and have fun!!

Ian
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"

Last edited by Ian B; 17-05-15 at 09:05 PM.
Old 17-05-15, 08:52 PM

Thanks Ian. That's a wealth of good information! I'll pop up some shots of the backs when I have some more time.
Old 18-05-15, 01:20 AM

Default Canadian Airborne Insignia

Hello Mike,

Concur that the cap badge and collar dogs are 1970's vintage, having obtained identically the same (from depot stores) in 1976 from the then curator of the Canadian Airborne Forces Museum (CWO Arn Middleton) at CFB Edmonton. For additional information on Canadian Airborne Brevets you may want to take a glance at your convenience, at the following articles on my blog page;

http://arnhemjim.blogspot.com/2013/0...ification.html
http://arnhemjim.blogspot.com/2011/1...-canadian.html.

Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory

Last edited by Arnhemjim; 18-05-15 at 01:37 AM.