British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-03-12, 10:24 PM

Default QVC CARABINIERS

HI all, I wanted to ask a last opinion to conform my own thoughts on this one. Took a chance on it and when I got it, it seems to be issued with "duck feet" loops. The lack of definition also on the rear of the scroll looks to confirm my intent to return.

Opinons welcome

Thanks all and have a good weekend.

regards

Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CARABINIERS F.jpg (72.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg CARABINIERS SIDE REAR.jpg (60.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg CARABINIERS R.jpg (53.5 KB, 38 views)
Old 02-03-12, 11:13 PM

Just a qiuck comment Simon... lack of sweatholes... ? I'll defer my judgement to others with a greater knowledge Jim
Old 03-03-12, 02:02 AM

Yes, spotted here. But I have read that is not always on every badge. I have some without and they are of the period. So I look for other detail now, you know -crimped, braze etc. As I said, took a chance on it.

Let's see if there are any other comments, but at the moment it's leaning to send back

Thanks

Simon.
Old 03-03-12, 02:11 AM

Default Carabiniers

Hi Simon, how are things in NY? I have both QVC and KC variants of this badge,
Looking at the one you have pictured I note differences to the crown. Mine has a more distinct "hourglass" shape - wider at the base. Also the "Q"looks a little odd, with the tail higher up rather than lower right. These could be manufacturing differences. Looking at the rear there would not be sweat holes as the WM oval was inserted into badge and braised in place. ( perhaps a cleaning would reveal the braise) The lugs appear to have the oxidized appearance we expect from a badge of this vintage and are in the correct position. The feet do seem a little large - covered in braise on my example so cannot compare. Will try to get a pic up tomorrow.
Hope this helps.
Len.R
Old 03-03-12, 02:20 AM

Hi Len, all's good thanks. Yeah, the detail overall is lacking but I think if you post yours it will confirm what I'm thinking here. I would clean it but would be hard to return. It wasn't a lot ($16.50), so I might anyway. The big thing for me is the feet on the loops.

I looked on the forum, but no rears of QVC. Looking forward to seeing it.

thanks

Simon.
Old 03-03-12, 03:05 AM

Hi Simon, have this photo of the front on file. Will have to take one of the rear tomorrow in the daylight.
Len.R
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6th DG-0005.jpg (98.0 KB, 30 views)
Old 03-03-12, 03:24 PM

Default 6th DG

Hi Simon, as promised herewith pic of the reverse. Note that the brass underlay for the title scroll has not been die struck on this example. The sweat holes are filled with braise as is the area surrounding the WM oval. I also note on your example that the VI DG is not centered but is placed somewhat higher. As mentioned previously, the crown and letter Q also look a little odd. Hope this will help. PM sent.
Regards,
Len. R
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6th DG-0917.jpg (99.8 KB, 27 views)