British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-02-12, 12:21 PM

Default Identifying fakes

Hi Gentlemen
probably a naive question from a novice but if a slider has a makers stamp on it is then [usually] the badge genuine?
Old 15-02-12, 12:39 PM
Banned

Hi Bobblehat,

The subject of maker marked sliders is a much discussed and complicated one.

There are countless references to the subject in the forum archives to confuse and confound you. By reading and studying these threads though you will be able to eventually tell good from bad.

The Makers marks project at the top right of the page is an invaluable guide to this matter as well.

As to your assumption, if only it were that simple! It isn't I'm afraid but a subject worthy of study if you are to avoid the many pitfalls that it represents.

Good luck.

Ry
Old 15-02-12, 02:12 PM

...Quick answer, yes and no.
Terry (Dr B)
Old 15-02-12, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

My rule of thumb:

If the badge is post WW2 the it is probably maker marked. Most were but not all. Large font JR Gaunt London, Firmin, HW Timmings are generally correct.

If it JR Gaunt Bham or London Badge and Button coy then it is post 1970 or so.

If it is Marples and Beasley, JR Gaunt.London (note dot and medium sized font) then it is probably a fake.

FE Woodward is right for a WW1 badge but have been faked.

I caveat this with the fact that there is always the exception..
Old 15-02-12, 04:47 PM

This is where the full wrath of a lot of members will come down on me, but when I started collecting seriously in the 1970`s it was pretty unusual to come across any badges with named sliders. That is not to say they did not exist.

The same can be said for badges with makers plaques.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 15-02-12, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

I fully agree with you. I was given 100 odd badges collected in the early 1940s. Only one was marked.
Old 15-02-12, 05:32 PM

Default Makers marks

I must say that I agree with PB and Alan, of the badges that I had which were pre c1950 the only maked other ranks were other ranks infantry with Lambourne sliders and RND with JR Gaunt tablets both of which I think have been since faked.

I bought some obsolete badges and some current QC badges in the late 1950's from a tailors shop, none of the obsolete badges had named sliders whereas the current QC ones all had. Only an opinion, but original other ranks badges pre 1950 were rarely named by the manufacturer.

Rob
Old 15-02-12, 05:37 PM

I would agree with Peter regards to named sliders being very much the exception in the early 70's when I first started out!
Cheers Tony.
Old 15-02-12, 10:28 PM

Many thanks to all contributors to my thread on makers names on sliders.Much appreciated and much learning to be done!
Bobblehat