British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-10-13, 08:14 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....
Default QRIH badges - for Faugh-A-Ballagh

John,
Here are a few pics of those Queen's Royal Irish Hussars badges. Two are just to help with scale. The very large one is what I thought was a Pipers badge, but then the one that John has in the Pipers Project is all gilded and this one isn't.

The 1st picture includes a standard AA O/R's cap badge plus a UDR and Royal Irish Rangers Pipers badges - only for scale.

The 3rd picture shows the front of:-
a) an O/R's AA one &
b) what I have always had this down as a pouch badge?) its has 3 screw posts; same design as the AA one, but its 63.5mm high, x 41mm wide; in silver/gilt; quite heavy and of good quality;
c) is a very well made, rivetted, in silver/gilt; has x2 screw posts and, is much larger at 94.5mm high x 71mm wide across the scroll. I have had this for some years now and its a bit of a mystery to me now that I know its nothing like the one John has posted as a Pipers badge. The only other oddity is that the "Queens" part of the title is not spelt as "Queen's" - as are the other two.

The 2nd picture shows the rear of badges.
Any help appreciated and thanks, David

Thanks for any help, David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QRIHBadge01.jpg (45.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg QRIHBadge03.jpg (46.6 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg QRIHBadge02.jpg (59.6 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by wright241; 21-10-13 at 08:16 AM. Reason: typo
Old 21-10-13, 08:24 AM

Default orih

Pipers badge in my collection 2 piece all gilt approx 60x 42 mm lugs E& W
Old 21-10-13, 09:19 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49lassiepen View Post
Pipers badge in my collection 2 piece all gilt approx 60x 42 mm lugs E& W
Thanks for that 49lassiepen. Those dimensions are about the same. So, the "medium sized" badge probably is a pouch badge, but the larger one isn't a Pipers. OK.
Which still leaves me wondering about the larger badge - bandsmans, sabretache or a shabraque device?? and why is "Queen's" - which is the correct title - spelt "Queens"?? Any idea's on that?
David
Old 21-10-13, 09:47 AM

Default QRIH POUCH BADGE

I've been told these large badges were produced as pouch badges. But were rejected by the regiment, in favour of the smaller badge with screw posts.
Old 21-10-13, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishhorse View Post
I've been told these large badges were produced as pouch badges. But were rejected by the regiment, in favour of the smaller badge with screw posts.
Which may be explained (at least one aspect anyway) by them not liking the miss-pronounced "Queens". Makes sense, but what an error to make by the maker - whoever they were!!! Thanks, David
Well at least I have a "trial run version" and the "proper one"... Excellent.
Thank you guys.
Old 22-10-13, 08:52 AM

Not as big an error as the back to front "N" on the early QRIH piper's badge !
Old 22-10-13, 11:32 AM

Quote:
We might have been on the drink the day we designed that!
Old 22-10-13, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Horrors.........
Have never see one but thats what you get mixing Black Bush and Guiness......
Old 22-10-13, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright241 View Post
Horrors.........
Have never see one but thats what you get mixing Black Bush and Guiness......
Black Bush and Guinness, Asbach and pilsner, vodka and coke (known as a "biff" at RD), mixed spirits and after shave (NODUFF, bucket parties) makes the lavvy smell wonderful the next day. Issue rum; brandy, Klar Korn, Apfelkorn, any kind of korn.

Just get it down your neck son. We'll worry about the badges later.

"Hoi you - put that can of engine oil down"
Old 22-10-13, 09:39 PM

It is my understanding that the large bi-metal badges with screw posts are badges for the #2 dress pouch.

My information for that comes from a post on the site milcol.net (I think now defunct where many of us used to post) where a response I got to a query about the badge came from a forum member who claimed to be an ex-member of QRIH.

Although I have no primary references for the claim it does appear to be backed up by the link below, claiming the image from the regimental museum in Eastbourne

http://www.britishempire.co.uk/force...chbelt1960.htm

and occasional other evidence such as the attached image which sold on e-bay in May of this year.

The all gilt badge is the pipers badge and from speaking with other collectors there appears to be 3 types (if all are bone fide) . 1 brazed construction with the "N" backwards and 2 types with the "N" corrected, one pinned and one brazed. The brazed corrected "N" being apparently smaller than the original incorrect "N" badge

There are allegations that reproductions exist of the pattern with the corrected "N" - cast from originals. I have no other info on this badge.

My brazed backwards N being here

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/pip...es/index2.htmI would love to hear input from former members of the rgt and others

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg qrih pouch.jpg (43.6 KB, 23 views)
Old 23-10-13, 06:48 AM

John, Thanks for your time, I am sure you are busy these days.

Your comment "It is my understanding that the large bi-metal badges with screw posts are badges for the #2 dress pouch." refers to the 2nd (large) badge shown in picture 3 and not the extra large badge shown in picture 3, badge 3?
Which is the point that irishhorse was making i.e. it was an unadopted design?
Rgds, David
Old 23-10-13, 01:02 PM

Default QRIH PIPER'S BADGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mulcahy View Post
It is my understanding that the large bi-metal badges with screw posts are badges for the #2 dress pouch.

My information for that comes from a post on the site milcol.net (I think now defunct where many of us used to post) where a response I got to a query about the badge came from a forum member who claimed to be an ex-member of QRIH.

Although I have no primary references for the claim it does appear to be backed up by the link below, claiming the image from the regimental museum in Eastbourne

http://www.britishempire.co.uk/force...chbelt1960.htm

and occasional other evidence such as the attached image which sold on e-bay in May of this year.

The all gilt badge is the pipers badge and from speaking with other collectors there appears to be 3 types (if all are bone fide) . 1 brazed construction with the "N" backwards and 2 types with the "N" corrected, one pinned and one brazed. The brazed corrected "N" being apparently smaller than the original incorrect "N" badge

There are allegations that reproductions exist of the pattern with the corrected "N" - cast from originals. I have no other info on this badge.

My brazed backwards N being here

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/pip...es/index2.htmI would love to hear input from former members of the rgt and others

John
John is correct there three patterns of piper's badge. But only two are genuine. The 1st is the reversed N. The two parts are brazed together, and made of brass with a gilt finish. The 2nd is the correct N, with the two parts peged together. Again brass with a gilt finish. And the 3rd is a copy of the correct N type. This has the two parts brazed together, but there are peg marks ( a mold has been taken from an original badge ). This badge is made in white metal with a gilt finish, and looks much paler than the original. It is also 1.5mm shorter and 1mm narrower.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QRIH F.jpg (49.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg QRIH B.jpg (34.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 23-10-13, 01:06 PM

Must keep my eyes open for one of those. I haven't ever seen one available via the usual channels. Many thanks for the information.
David
Old 23-10-13, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright241 View Post
Which is the point that irishhorse was making i.e. it was an unadopted design?
Rgds, David
Hi David

I should have read your original post more carefully, I missed the point about the larger bi-metal badge and confused your request with the 'regular" pouch badge. I personally have not come across the very large badge you have before.

IH's input is the first data I have seen on the subject of this larger badge.

Thanks for your kind thoughts, busy is an apt description. I hope you are well.

John
Old 24-10-13, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mulcahy View Post
Hi David

I should have read your original post more carefully, I missed the point about the larger bi-metal badge and confused your request with the 'regular" pouch badge. I personally have not come across the very large badge you have before.

IH's input is the first data I have seen on the subject of this larger badge.

Thanks for your kind thoughts, busy is an apt description. I hope you are well.

John
John,
OK and not a problem - mind yourself.

Its just such a nice badge and very well made - but, apart from the "missing" apostrophe - which in military tradition terms would (in my opinion) have made it completely unacceptable "regimentally" - and I don't mean that in the same way that politicians bandy the word around. I would have expected the CO to go bonkers at such an error....
Take it easy over there - if its possible. One of these days I'll try and make another trip and call in.
Best Regards, David