British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-04-14, 08:44 AM

Default What a pity

This lot I put together about 15 years ago, and as far as I can recall only the Tank corps and pioneers are original, all the rest are restrike or copies ?
found mainly at fares and such, but still a nice presentation of badges formed up in the Great War
Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WW1 Raised units.JPG (78.0 KB, 81 views)
Old 16-04-14, 09:17 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.L.I. View Post
This lot I put together about 15 years ago, and as far as I can recall only the Tank corps and pioneers are original, all the rest are restrike or copies ?
found mainly at fares and such, but still a nice presentation of badges formed up in the Great War
Phil
Phil,
If thats what it is supposed to be, its still a nice representation Phil.
I wouldn't despair though as I am sure there will be thousands of others with collections like this that will only find out the hard way after trying on the "I know nothing about them...", "My father/grandfather put them together years ago.." etc etc.

At least you have one original. Best Rgds, David
Old 16-04-14, 09:39 AM

Cheers Dave
I have been collecting badges only WW1 period for a good few years (20)or so, and first started off at a local fare bought a few, and it grew from there, after collecting all the WW1 Infantry, I started to collect the Cavalry regts WW1, managed to find most of them in original condition (me thinks?).
got stooped on the 5th Lancers good and proper, then when onto the yeomanry, again found most of them, then went for the biggy, WW1 period Territorial’s, went to town a bit with this range though, and its only now that being a member of this great forum that I can find out how many of these badges are copies or Forgeries, still not happy with my 5th Cameronians
even though all looks well, just that nagging feeling in the back of my mind, bought from Bosleys about 7-8 years back, and paid a good over the top price, only wish I thought about it first, and if it is a dud then I don’t think Mr Boseley with give me a refund, if it is a dud, cant believe it got through their professional values and researchers, it’s made me be very wary in future, as for most of my collection i.e. Cavalry-Yeomanry badges sold them off to dealers and such just kept the WW1 and Territorial’s, but still got a hankering to carry on collecting, but don’t wish to be taken again on whether it’s original or not, as we know there is so much bad stuff flying about, and who can we trust to sell us the right item, truly.
Cheers PHIL
Old 16-04-14, 10:11 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.L.I. View Post
Cheers Dave
I have been collecting badges only WW1 period for a good few years (20)or so, and first started off at a local fare bought a few, and it grew from there, after collecting all the WW1 Infantry, I started to collect the Cavalry regts WW1, managed to find most of them in original condition (me thinks?).
got stooped on the 5th Lancers good and proper, then when onto the yeomanry, again found most of them, then went for the biggy, WW1 period Territorial’s, went to town a bit with this range though, and its only now that being a member of this great forum that I can find out how many of these badges are copies or Forgeries, still not happy with my 5th Cameronians
even though all looks well, just that nagging feeling in the back of my mind, bought from Bosleys about 7-8 years back, and paid a good over the top price, only wish I thought about it first, and if it is a dud then I don’t think Mr Boseley with give me a refund, if it is a dud, cant believe it got through their professional values and researchers, it’s made me be very wary in future, as for most of my collection i.e. Cavalry-Yeomanry badges sold them off to dealers and such just kept the WW1 and Territorial’s, but still got a hankering to carry on collecting, but don’t wish to be taken again on whether it’s original or not, as we know there is so much bad stuff flying about, and who can we trust to sell us the right item, truly.
Cheers PHIL
Phil,
I stopped bothering to get get hold of various Scottish badges - which is why I don't have many - as I got my fingers burnt - especially those numbered (on the badge) Scots regiments. Like the Cameronians and A&S...
Even back in the late 70's/80's I was unable to get a genuine version of any of those 5th Seaforth Highlanders officers badges. I saw a few in other collections but those always eluded me.
Ref Bosley's, don't despair, they sold/I bought what turned out to be a fake GMGR badge some years ago. I wasn't until AndyP pointed out the tell tail signs on this forum that I realised they had duped me.... What can I say...
Take it easy and have a good one. Good luck with getting the 5thC authenticated by someone you trust.
Rgds, David
Old 16-04-14, 10:14 AM

Thanks Dave
for the advice, you live and learn
All the best PHIL