British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-04-14, 02:07 PM

Default 5th Cameronians cap badge

Can any one tell me from the pictures is this badge the real thing
had it for a few years and did buy from a well known auction house
cheers KSLI
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5TH Cameronians back.jpg (45.8 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg 5TH Cameronians front.jpg (47.9 KB, 132 views)
Old 14-04-14, 03:54 PM

K.S.L.I.

I've attached a photo of the front of mine...can't do the back until the weekend, but mine isn't on a slider.

Quite a few differences between the two, particularly the shape of the 5, branch ends, voids/non voids, star points and bugle.

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5Th Cameronians Mine.JPG (90.6 KB, 63 views)
Old 14-04-14, 05:47 PM

Cheers Paul
bought this one several years back from Boseleys auctions still have the reciept, the slider is good and strong and the weight feels ok, not light or tinny, I am a bit concerned as paid a good deal for it, just hope I have not been dupeds
cheers again PHIL
Old 14-04-14, 07:33 PM
Former Member

Phil,
to be honest it looks as rough as the proverbial badger's! It's not as though I have a lot of VB badges, but the ones I do have are all well struck, crisp and with defined detail! The slider on your badge does not look right and appears to have been artificially aged? It would not be the first time Mr B has been duped into flogging a fake, and despite having the receipt, good luck should you attempt to seek a refund!

Andy
Old 15-04-14, 07:33 AM

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ht=cameronians
Link to my one with a slider.
Old 15-04-14, 09:34 AM

Angry

Andy
thanks for that bit of bad news, don’t know what to think as I bought it good faith, and as this auction house seemed to be doing this for years, I believed it must be correct, they really took me on this one, but it looks so good the slider cannot be budged, you would have thought it might fall apart if you put too much force to it, but no, its really stable, do you or anyone else know if it’s been greatly forged or restrikes, and as for the auction people surly a badge as rare as this, you think someone would have done their home work, I did buy it when I first started collecting, and green around the gills, it’s made me think now weather to bother buying from auctions, still have the receipt mind you might contact them and see what they say, in any ones opinion could it be a bad strike when made, and sent out, or would the makers have thrown it out.
Cheers Andy for your honest opinion,
I do have one or two others bought from the same auctions don’t hold your breath, but let me down gently.
PHIL
Old 15-04-14, 10:17 AM

Don't think your alone in this Phil- many of us have bought the more expensive scarce badges over the years- with the idea that best to track them down 1st as they are likely to get more expensive to buy as the years go by.
Now we have a forum to seek advice and form opinions about badges on.
Its a shame for many of us this forum was not available 20 years ago. Regards, Paul. -Fact is we all have badges we are unsure of-and each have our share of duds.
Old 15-04-14, 10:42 AM

Cheers Paul
your opinion is must valued.
Who in your opinion is the right dealer to buy from, still would like one or two WW1 period Territorial badges.
PHIL
Old 15-04-14, 12:47 PM

Phil,

Eye strain this morning!

I spent some time last night with a magnifying glass on Gaylor plate 51 (early edition) comparing that to a picture of yours on my mobile...

They look to be a very similar strike (considering the limitations of my eyesight and Gaylors photos).

Be interesting to see if any other members agree.

Then it comes down to whether Gaylors' can be trusted or whether any were re-struck from the same die (if indeed it is)...if they were, then there aren't that many about.

I think what this forum needs is a professional councellor that we can turn to...most of us go through exactly the same worries....

Paul
Old 15-04-14, 12:52 PM

Paul
top man again you have put another point to view, all's not lost then, it would be nice to thinmk it is a genuine badge, and not a restrike-forgerie-copy. Like I said all looks good, nice and solid, but I am glad to have people like yourself help me with all known facts, after its the differance between a few pounds and a lot more.
cheers again Paul
PHIL
Old 22-04-14, 09:58 AM

Paul
dont suppose you can photo copy the 5th Cameronians badge in Gaylors book dont have a copy meself
cheers PHIL
Old 22-04-14, 10:43 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.L.I. View Post
Paul
dont suppose you can photo copy the 5th Cameronians badge in Gaylors book dont have a copy meself
cheers PHIL
Phil,
The Gaylor images are not that good

http://www.sellmymilitaria.com/site/...ion&Itemid=477

your best bet would be to see if anyone has a die struck example to compare against!

Andy
Old 22-04-14, 11:33 AM

Andy Thanks again
Phil
Old 22-04-14, 04:56 PM

Hi All
Without giving an opinion on the originality of this badge, I'd like to add that it appears to be a similar striking to the one shown in K&K (1719), without the voiding around the 5 etc etc. Despite the lack of clarity to the badge I wouldn't write it off immediately, the quality in WWI wasn't of the highest standard and it may well be one of those...
Just an opinion
Cheers,
Alex
Old 22-04-14, 05:50 PM

Alex
Thanks for your feedback, you are correct regards to badge production in WW1, its possible I suppose that whilst banging these badges out the odd one went through the system, and with metal becoming more valuable this one was excepted even with a blemish, instead of throwing it back the maker may have thought time is money. only a thought, would be good to think that was the case with my bagde.
cheers again
PHIL