British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-01-15, 12:24 AM

Default some noob questions

Hi
although i am interested in old military items I am definitely NOT a expert so i joined this forum yesterday in hope someone might be able to help me identify and or put a value on a couple of things.

first i am having trouble identifying a set of chevrons
if you look at the photo's the arrows {i don't know what to call them} point away from one another.
i have searched for hours trying to find a image that matches but all the images i find have them going in the same direction.

front
back

second i have obtained from a family friend a NSW Military Forces belt and i am finding hard to research and put a value on it. I have found a few buckles that people have in their collections or have for sale, but the only full belt i can find is in the war museum and their photos are low quality and the info is a bit vague.
and i was wondering how rare it is to have a full belt as i can find no other images of them.

so any help would be appreciated. {Thanks in advance}

Last edited by niabco; 18-01-15 at 02:37 AM.
Old 18-01-15, 02:28 AM

Welcome to the forum. Your 'set of stripes/brevet' are called chevrons.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 18-01-15, 02:36 AM

Thanks Thomas
I will change in the post if possible and hope to get a few more details about them.
Old 18-01-15, 02:37 AM

The first photograph shows a set of corporal chevrons, all you have to do is cut them in the middle of the large space.

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 18-01-15, 04:57 AM

hi
your belt and buckle are the standard nco pattern worn I believe up until around 1905 give or take a few years.
its not overly rare and probably worth around $200.
bc
btw, the belt is part of the equipment issued at the time and is commonly known as slade and Wallace.
The 1888 Pattern Valise Equipment was also known as Slade-Wallace equipment, after its two designers, Colonel Slade and Major (later Lieutenant-Colonel) Wallace. The complete equipment consisted of one waist belt, two ammunition pouches, a pair of braces with movable buckles and a keeper, two greatcoat straps, one mess-tin strap, and one valise to carry clothing, cutlery and other personal equipment. This pattern was issued to British and colonial forces but was replaced with 1903 Bandolier equipment after its performance was criticised in the Boer War. The 1888 Pattern equipment was in service at most for 15 years though some parts such as waist belts, were retained for ceremonial purposes.

Last edited by badgecollector; 18-01-15 at 05:04 AM.