British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-11-17, 07:38 PM

Default newbie intro

Greetings, Im researching my old dads military service , hes 90 now and his memory is fading so all Ive got is a photo with his cap badge on it, any help will be appreciated, thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phone 2 036.jpg (29.9 KB, 108 views)
Old 12-11-17, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Hello steveash, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 12-11-17, 08:01 PM

Welcome to the Forum.
Andy
Old 12-11-17, 08:44 PM

Welcome stevash, your dad wears a General Service Corps cap badge. According to Edwards 'the General Service Corps was formed in February 1942 to provide a pool into which enlisted men were first placed to undergo selection tests to ascertain the most suitable arm in which they should serve'. Also worn by some War Correspondents who didnĀ“t have a badge of their own and by the occasional Intelligence Corps member to hide the sensitive nature of their work.
The half cropped shoulder title might clarify things more.

Rgds, Thomas
Old 13-11-17, 07:10 PM

Thanks mate, sadly thats the only picture we have of him Army wise. He was 18 there and not long in so about Sept 45, He remembers working at an Armoured vehicle depot in Brackley just unloading all the now unwanted Bren gun carriers, Ill go a bit more digging. Cheers.
Old 24-09-23, 07:49 AM

Steveash - welcome mate, brilliant picture by the way - your Dad certainly looks a character, got a mischievous glint in his eye hasn't he?

Do that digging mate - there's not a day goes by that I don't say to myself - "I wish I'd have asked him...."

All the best - and good luck with your detective work - I can honestly say, you're in the right place for digging - there's nothing these Forum members don't know - as I've found out myself during my short membership...
Gary B
Old 24-09-23, 09:10 AM

Steve
Phone or go on line Veterans UK web page

https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...8%201914%20218.

You will be able to request his service records if he signs the forms they are free

For service personnel that have passed as long as you can prove next of kin etc there is a charge
Regards
Stephen

Email veterans-uk@mod.gov.uk

Freephone (UK only): 0808 1914 2 18

Telephone (overseas): +44 1253 866 043

8.00 am to 5:00 pm Monday to Friday

When the helpline is closed, callers will be given the option to be routed to The Samaritans 24hr helpline.
Old 26-09-23, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkstone View Post
Steve
Phone or go on line Veterans UK web page

https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...8%201914%20218.

You will be able to request his service records if he signs the forms they are free

For service personnel that have passed as long as you can prove next of kin etc there is a charge
Regards
Stephen

Email veterans-uk@mod.gov.uk

Freephone (UK only): 0808 1914 2 18

Telephone (overseas): +44 1253 866 043

8.00 am to 5:00 pm Monday to Friday

When the helpline is closed, callers will be given the option to be routed to The Samaritans 24hr helpline.

Hello Stephen
Hoping you are keeping well and your collection etc is thriving.
I have a string of service record requests outstanding and have braced myself for a year wait (it was 2 years just after Covid). The records phone number appears to be dead / removed so I phoned the Freephone number you provided - there was no option to check Service Records or check on progress - unless I am missing something

Any advice from ANY FORUM MEMBER appreciated on ways to find out what is going on

Regards
Mike