British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-10-17, 05:22 AM

Can anyone provide me with sealing dates or general dates of wear for the following two versions of the corps cap badge please?

1) The Monogram "RAPC" surmounted by the Royal Crest and Imperial Crown (KK 1036)

2) The Royal Crest over the scroll inscribed "Fide et Fiducia"(KK 2133)

thanks

John
Old 29-10-17, 10:40 AM

I hope the attached notes are helpful although not directly answering your questions.

They are pages from John H Cameron: The Insignia of British Army Paymasters and Their Staff 1878-1988

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAPC - img072.jpg (52.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg RAPC - img073.jpg (58.4 KB, 27 views)
Old 29-10-17, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
I hope the attached notes are helpful although not directly answering your questions.

They are pages from John H Cameron: The Insignia of British Army Paymasters and Their Staff 1878-1988

Mike
Mike

this is perfect thanks.

John
Old 01-11-17, 07:49 PM

Interesting to note the last sentence from the second scan (RAPC 1929-1952) that Mike B kindly posted above. It reads 'A two-tone all brass cap badge has also been seen'. Well I saw one today. Did anyone spot the two-tone brass OR's badge in Lot 281 in the C&T auction today. This is the auction that Alan O led us to in his earlier link.

I didn't watch the auction, but the badge was not mentioned in C&T's write-up for lot 281 so I guess they hadn't noted it or its rarity. The entire lot went for a hammer of £50 - but I believe that badge alone would retail somewhere between £100 to £140 these days from a dealer. So someone got themselves a good RAPC badge deal. Anyone on here??

(To illustrate which badge I mean - it's the middle one. This is not the C&T lot though as I assume to show their illustration would infringe copyright and I'm hopeless at linking).
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAPC.jpg (53.3 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by dubaiguy; 01-11-17 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-11-17, 08:12 PM

I have just the one of these, I think it's noted in K&K/Gaylor as a WWII era variation?
I didn't think it was particularly scarce.
Old 02-11-17, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-l...adg-C294F7DA12

The C&T photo with both the 2 tone brass and gilding metal variant and the all w/m version.

The 2 tone one is hard to find. I suspect a makers variation possibly made in error or incorrectly due to a shortage of the correct metals.

The all w/m one is interesting and there are a number of possibilities for its wear but I can find no reference or reason for its use.
Old 02-11-17, 09:45 AM

Hi Leigh
As Alan says quite hard to find. Garry Shotton (Lew) has a two-tone one on his Castle Militaria site for £125. Those sold by Bosley's that I've seen have been in excess of £100 hammer if my memory serves. Well done for having one yourself.
Mark
Old 02-11-17, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

I doubt that the w/m version was as a WW2 economy measure as suggested in the article. Far more likely to be a badge procured for parade dress or plated for best walking out uniform. As the slider is plated then I suspect that it is a standard badge anyway. You also find other Corps badges that have had the same treatment.
Old 02-11-17, 09:37 PM

Very interesting observation regarding the two tone all brass badge - I thought it might be a maker variation.
Also of interest - I used to work with a RAPC veteran who swore he was issued with a WW2 Economy 'plastic' issue of the badge as a field cashier in the Far East (not sure if issued before posting abroad). I was very dubious, although I had heard some examples were produced (I thought as failed prototypes). Being sceptical, but interested, I asked if he still had it, which he assured me he did and that it was in his attic. Unfortunately he died before his son made the visit to retrieve it for him ... I still wonder if it was a figment of his imagination or whether they do exist?
Mike
Old 03-11-17, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Mike

Not to my knowledge. The records of the production of plastic badges have been researched and the results published and RAPC was not in there.

In addition to this list, Hugh King had a couple of trial plastic badges which were made with out fixings such as the Monmouths. This badge was sold at Bosleys a few years ago.

Alan
Old 03-11-17, 12:54 PM

Alan
Many thanks for your response. I recall the comprehensive article by Marcus Cotton (apologies but source not noted - possibly Militaria Magazine?). I was lucky enough to have a trial pattern Hertfordshire Regiment with improvised pin back. I thought this was a trial pattern (light brown) - image at post 8 of the attached.
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...+economy+issue
I also heard of trial pattern Coldstream Guards but never saw one - I just wondered if an RAPC example may been 'liberated' but agree with you that it would be most unlikely.
Thanks again for responding
Mike