British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-07-14, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc14 View Post
As if by magic ! The badge designs!

PL
....they're a hell of a lot better than machine woven badges! They don't look to bad!!

tim
Old 02-07-14, 04:51 PM
LYPAO Boff

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc14 View Post
As if by magic ! The badge designs!

PL
Now thats a badge!

No crown? What does the wolf's head represent (apart from a wolf)?

Lastly how do we get hold of them?

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 02-07-14 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-07-14, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrco View Post
....as of the 1st July, the North Irish Horse is no longer part of the Queens Own Yeomanry! It is now one of the Squadrons within the new regiment, the Scottish and North Irish Yeomanry!
The bi-metal capbadges are a few months down the line, but, in the interim period, we will be wearing cloth versions which have been brought over today by the QOY/SNIY RQMS, no info on the TRF's beig brought over at the same time though!

tim
Hi Tim,

I understand that the TRF composes of Dark Blue, Dark Green, Dark Blue horizontal areas of equal size.

Regards

Chris
Old 03-07-14, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Once the preserve of a Royal Marine? I don't think so - how about "Once the preserve of Commandos" (the majority of whom until 1945 were soldiers).
Plus the RDG (and 5DG) before them are heavy cavalry.

The QRH are light cavalry however and they've been wearing dark green berets since Col Sir Charles Lowther introduced them in the early 60's. No 1 caps are still red though.
Old 03-07-14, 02:57 PM

....the wolfs head is a representation of the wild wolves that once roamed scotland and ireland. A queens crown would have been a nice addition!!

tim
Old 03-07-14, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrco View Post
....the wolfs head is a representation of the wild wolves that once roamed scotland and ireland. A queens crown would have been a nice addition!!

tim
I don't know why they came up with that. Wolves mean nothing to the Scots or Irish and they have no connection with those regiments either. Personally I don't think either unit has any officers senior enough to push a good deal through for them so they're being fobbed off and told what to do by G4.
Old 03-07-14, 04:11 PM

The scroll is blank, intentional or not completed yet?

Marc
Old 03-07-14, 05:19 PM

I suggest it's a representation of Ghost from Game of Thrones which would be very appropriate for Northern Ireland but less so for that lot across the water.

Eddie
Old 03-07-14, 06:44 PM

Hi Guys,

Is it actually a wolves head or is it a fox as per The Queen’s Own Yeomanry?

Regards

Chris
Old 04-07-14, 01:47 PM

...it is a wolfs head. The 1st post on this thread is the one that we would have preferred, but were told that we could not have two nations symbols on a badge, which is a load of old pish to me! The badge had to be politically correct, and not to offend i.e., no red hands of ulster, no shamrocks.
The 'powers that be' did ask all personnel for their inputs into the design(s), and this one was what was chosen in the end.
Old 04-07-14, 01:56 PM
LYPAO Boff

I can understand the political aspects of the design mentioned in post #1.

I do like the new Wolf badge (but fail to see the relevance?)..... but one wonders if something more "cohesive" might have been thought about? Celtic art could have been used in this case.....

As an example:-

Something like this would be more relevant to both Scotland and Ireland....without issue?

Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 04-07-14, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffMJ View Post
I can understand the political aspects of the design mentioned in post #1.

I do like the new Wolf badge (but fail to see the relevance?)..... but one wonders if something more "cohesive" might have been thought about? Celtic art could have been used in this case.....

As an example:-

Something like this would be more relevant to both Scotland and Ireland....without issue?
It's as I said above: there's nobody with General Officer rank shouting for either outfit so G4 are just telling people how it's going to be.
Old 04-07-14, 03:22 PM

Griff,
Your badge would do as an interim badge. It represents the Scottish & Irish hunting for the Sasanachs who designed the Wolf badge.
Eddie
Old 04-07-14, 03:55 PM
LYPAO Boff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebro View Post
Griff,
Your badge would do as an interim badge. It represents the Scottish & Irish hunting for the Sasanachs who designed the Wolf badge.
Eddie
....now you see.... that's the right kind of badge designing.

On a serious note..... I can see the Wolf's Head appealing to the younger guys that they want to get in.... so maybe its going to be "on the money", time will tell? Compare that to the Royal Yeomanry cap badge...... on badge alone... as a youngster..... what would you want in your beret?

Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 04-07-14 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-07-14, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffMJ View Post
....now you see.... that's the right kind of badge designing.

On a serious note..... I can see the Wolf's Head appealing to the younger guys that they want to get in.... so maybe its going to be "on the money", time will tell? Compare that to the Royal Yeomanry cap badge...... on badge alone... as a youngster..... what would you want in your beret?
I know if I'd seen the 17/21st badge before joining that's where I would have chosen to serve, but it's got to have a history behind it - the wolf's head doesn't.