British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-02-12, 07:57 PM

Default ww2 Royal Observer Corps Helmet Help

I know this is totally off topic, but does anyone know what type and colour helmet was worn by the Royal Observer Corps during ww2 or better still does anyone have any pics.
Cheers Kev.
Old 12-02-12, 01:19 AM

Hello Kevin, I just googled Royal Observer Corps pictures. . I think you will be more confused! The two sites I went to had many pics but The colour renditions are a mix of Black on one site Grey on another and a female operator on another site wearing a Khaki one (she was nicely colour co-ordinated!) Regards, David J.
Old 12-02-12, 02:59 PM

Yes , cheers Dave I have done a google and came up with the same as you, that's why I wondered if anyone knew.
I'll keep searching.
Cheers Kev.
Old 20-05-12, 09:54 PM

I know that this is a bit late... but... if its of any use Keflin2612:

http://media.iwm.org.uk/iwm/mediaLib...2188/large.jpg

From the archives of the Imperial War Museum shows an Observer Corps member with a badged helmet on.

This appears to be identical to the one - including the badge - pictured on the ROC Association website: http://www.rocassoc.org/open/opengif.../05/helmet.jpg

...that said, there are also a number of images of helmets with 'OC' (Typically white text on a black helmet) at various sites around the internet, but I have yet to find a reference of someone actually wearing one badged as such during WWII. There are also numerous images of Observer Corp's members wearing unbadged helmets - both Pre and Post 1942.

Not sure if this is still relevant or you still need the info. but hey - here you go. (To the best of my knowledge!)
Old 24-05-12, 09:21 AM

Default Royal Observer Corps Helmets

An interesting and complicated subject for which little documentary evidence is available. Observers were originally Special Constables and were at some point before the war iissued with the standard blue Police steel helmet with the word "Police" painted on the front.

On the outbreak of war the OC as it was then was taken over by the Air Ministry. A Home Office letter dated 23/9/39 noted that the Police helmets issued by the Home Office would be replaced by black helmets. The existing Police helmets were not to be painted black. There is evidence that many of the Police helmets handed back had had all the letters of "Police" removed except the O and C to leave only the letters OC.

I have found no instructions on what if anything was to be painted on the black helmets and whilst there appears to have been standardisation within Groups there was no official marking. I have seen black helmets with OC painted in white and helmets with a transfer of the Observer Corps crest applied to the helmet. I attach a press photo from the Glasgow Herald showing helmets painted "Observer Corps" and a helmet in my collection painted with the letters "OC" in blue.

At a later date (again no evidence) what appears to have been an official marking appeared on what was now a green or grey green helmet. This is illustrated in "Forewarned is Forearmed" the post-war ROC history. A photo isattached.

I must acknoweldge the considerable help I have received from the Royal Observer Corps Museum in my research on their helmets and uniforms.

Postwarden
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Observer Corps helmet marking ROC Museum.jpg (41.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg OC Helmet Marking.jpg (42.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg ROC with flash 1 reduced.jpg (20.2 KB, 48 views)
Old 26-05-12, 09:40 PM

..and I've just stumbled across another that reports to be an Observer Corps helmet, the original article and original link is Here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pit2.jpg (52.5 KB, 46 views)
Old 28-05-12, 08:03 AM

Default ROC Helmet

I don't believe this is helmet has a connection with the OC or ROC. "Pit" was not an ROC term as they operated from Observer Posts.

I would suggest this was an artillery item worn by Observers on ranges as Gunners operate from gun pits.

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Postwarden
Old 26-09-17, 10:35 PM

Default OC Badged Helmet

Although this is an old thread - just seen a very good OC Badged helmet go for sale on ebay. Interestingly there is now also a reproduction OC decal currently also for sale on ebay. (Although the two are distinctly different - repro decal clearly identifiable on the left of the two shown in attached image).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (60.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Comparison OC Helmet Decals.jpg (64.2 KB, 28 views)