British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28-01-17, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinRF View Post
Hello,

...I had wondered if the 1st Mounted Regiment had any other units within it other than the 13th L.H. - sooooo, is it safe to assume, then, that the same patch design was being worn by both the 13th L.H. (serving in the U.K./France) and the 1st M.R. (serving out in the M.E.F.)?
Hello

You've lost me a bit here, 13 Aust LH Regt was formed in Australia as part of 4 LH Bde and after August 1915 transferred to 2 Aust Div, serving on Gallipoli. In March 1916 the regt was split up in Egypt, forming div cav sqns for 2, 4, and 5 Aust Divs, all of which proceeded to France over March-June 1916. RHQ and MG Sec were disbanded. In July 1916 the three div cav sqns were concentrated in France under a new RHQ and became I. ANZAC Mtd Regt. It was universally known under its original title of 13 Aust LH Regt and continued to wear the same colour patch.

You may be thinking of I. ANZAC Mtd Tps, which consisted of the 13 LH Regt, I. ANZAC Cyclist Bn and a British motor machine gun battery!

Also the tunic you show as a Remount Unit is in fact a mounted divisional AASC, either Aust Mtd Div or ANZAC Mtd Div. Nice, and rarely seen, but not a remount patch.

Thanks for the info on the RAA title. Between 1911-1927 our permanent artillery were the RAFA and the RAGA. I'll keep an open mind on them.

Keith

Last edited by fairlie63; 28-01-17 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Correction to information