British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-05-13, 09:11 PM

Default Early construction WW1 RND Badge?

Hi All,

Hoping for some opinions on this one. I purchased Princess Mary tin at auction, which was described as having military badges inside. They are all good WW1, or WW2 badges, including a nice Birkenhead OTC badge. Quite rare. This RND badge was I there too. I can see that the original lugs for the RND title badge, and MGC badge have been filed down, and the shoulder title is soldered onto the MGC with two small plates. I think this is an early construction badge, completed in some workshop in 1914. But, I wanted other peoples opinion on this.

Many Thanks

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1100501 small.jpg (51.0 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg P1100502 small.jpg (74.4 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg P1100505 small.jpg (60.0 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg P1100508 small.jpg (61.6 KB, 90 views)
Old 30-05-13, 10:02 PM

Hello Paul,
The MGC badge looks perfectly good to me, although I don't think it's had lugs removed, it retains its original slider. The RND title, looks to have been the flat hexagonal type lugs removed. Both constituent parts look genuine. I for one would say it is OK, however that's just my opinion.
Cheers Tony.
Old 30-05-13, 10:05 PM

This badge is how i always thought an RND mgc badge would look, but never came across. Personally i have only seen these badges where the RND part has never had any lugs and as they were supposedly made up badges, i thought this was wrong. It makes sense that the RND part should show remains of lugs, and the attachment method makes it look even better. (My thoughts anyway)
Regards,
Bill.
Old 31-05-13, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator

Despite seeing many, many copies of this badge this is first version of the RND MGC badge that I would be happy with.
Old 01-06-13, 10:28 AM

Hi

Great Badge, a find and I am sure genuine. I have attached an image of RND MGC gap badge, purchased a number of years from a well known auctioneer B______. This, he assured me at the time, was the only one he had seen which was, in his opinion, genuine. Note in this case no filed off lugs on the RND title.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RND MGC Cap Badge.jpg (56.0 KB, 66 views)
Old 01-06-13, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Hermitage View Post
Hi All,

Hoping for some opinions on this one. I purchased Princess Mary tin at auction, which was described as having military badges inside. They are all good WW1, or WW2 badges, including a nice Birkenhead OTC badge. Quite rare. This RND badge was I there too. I can see that the original lugs for the RND title badge, and MGC badge have been filed down, and the shoulder title is soldered onto the MGC with two small plates. I think this is an early construction badge, completed in some workshop in 1914. But, I wanted other peoples opinion on this.

Many Thanks

Paul
its hard to tell from pics but is that silver solder or braze holding the two together,army workshops didn't use silver solder on badges in ww1.
Bob
Old 01-06-13, 01:39 PM
Former Member

No slur on the seller whatsoever, as he's probably gone by the endorsements above and I have bought items from him myself without any issues, but I don't like it at all and I see it is on Ebay for £200! I think the top (Guns) part may be OK, but the crown does not look 100% to me? The ST part also looks rather suspect? I do not believe it is a period item and has been put together in all honesty, probably nearer the Gulf War than WW1! Here's a good ST for comparison

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=32356

Paul, could you post a square on view of the crown please?

Andy

Last edited by 2747andy; 01-06-13 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-06-13, 03:48 PM

best offer accepted,but was it more than £10 for a mgc badge and a £5 for a duff s/title.
Bob
Old 01-06-13, 05:37 PM

Hi ncc

Brazed.

John
Old 01-06-13, 07:06 PM

First badge could have been knocked up at any time from 1916 until a a few weeks before it was sold by anyone with a soldering iron, the second i would ask why it has no gaunt plate and why if it was put together in the factory at the same time as the slider why is it discolored where the RND has been fixed on?
Andy.
Old 01-06-13, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
First badge could have been knocked up at any time from 1916 until a a few weeks before it was sold by anyone with a soldering iron, the second i would ask why it has no gaunt plate and why if it was put together in the factory at the same time as the slider why is it discolored where the RND has been fixed on?
Andy.
That discoloration bothered me too.

Tom
Old 01-06-13, 09:43 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Despite seeing many, many copies of this badge this is first version of the RND MGC badge that I would be happy with.
Alan,

You've gone very quiet?

Andy
Old 02-06-13, 05:37 AM

Default More photo's later

Hi All,

Firstly a big thank you for all your replies. I shall reply later with some more context around this badge, and some more photographs as requested, especially of the crown.

Personally, knowing the source of this badge, the context it was found, and some of the other WW1 items I received with it from the same source, I would be surprised if this turned out to be anything but original. But then that's why I posted on here to confirm.

Kindest Regards

Paul
Old 02-06-13, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Alan,

You've gone very quiet?

Andy
Not at all Andy and I am not sure why you made this comment. Everyone's points are very well made. By definition its a home-made badge and as with all things it is impossible to tell when it was done.

Alan
Old 02-06-13, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

These are some that I personnally would avoid especially with the Gaunt plate. Far too dear for my liking.

http://www.whartonmilitaria.co.uk/it...warraisedunits

Last edited by Alan O; 02-06-13 at 07:16 AM. Reason: add link

Tags
rnd