British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-06-13, 03:54 AM

Default 1980s Special Jump Helmet

Hi Guys, I'm hoping that there are some exAirborne guys within the Forum that can shed some light on this chromed jump helmet that I've just picked up. It appears to be late 1980s era and rigged in a unique way. The helmet is chromed with a Canadian Airborne badge welded to the front. The liner is set up in such a way that I can't easily remove it to see if there is anything on the outside of the liner. I'm guessing this is an award helmet that was meant to be used to draw attention to a particularly good, or bad trooper during a jump.

I hope someone can fill me in.

Regards,

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-para1.jpg (58.4 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg 2-para2.jpg (55.9 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 3-para3.jpg (54.2 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 4-para4.jpg (62.3 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 5-para5.jpg (71.5 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 6-para6.jpg (74.4 KB, 66 views)
Old 18-06-13, 04:10 AM

Very cool piece Greg!!

It looks like it has next to no wear to the liner.
Old 18-06-13, 05:15 AM

I agree but all the straps are meticulously taped so that it's impossible to undo the chinstraps to pull the liner apart. There has to be a "method to the madness". There are no personal marks that I can find, leading me to believe that it was made for an occasion and the liner a custom fit for a particular jumper.

Greg
Old 18-06-13, 06:01 AM

Default Parachute display team?

Could of been used by a parachute display team maybe, i think your canadian airborne one is called the hawks.
Paul
Old 18-06-13, 07:07 AM

Looks like an item that would have been on display in a mess or legion. I can see the tape on the nape strap (a standard jump helmet would have a foam pad attached to the nape strap) but you should be able to unsnap the straight chinstrap from the liner and then separate it from the shell.... or is there something not visible in the photos?
Old 18-06-13, 11:49 AM

Way out of my comfort zone with this one but it looks like a helmet worn by an "Honor Guard", with white laces in the jump boots!

Gordon
Old 18-06-13, 03:00 PM

Greg

As a paratrooper with the Cdn AB Btl Gp in the 80's, I have only seen this type of helmet shell twice.

First time was at the Cdn AB Centre in Edmonton around 1987, whereby the chromed outer was hung from the trg suspension harness and we drank from it at the Grad "smoker". That one had the badge upside down as it was rightsideup when the shell was suspended inverted.

The other time was in Pet around 1988, when I saw this type of helmet worn by a CWO jumper on his last jump before retirement from the CAF. Special Occasion helmet would be an accurate guess.

Best I can do and hope it is of some help.

regards
Darrell
Old 18-06-13, 03:09 PM

In Taipei, Taiwan the honour guard at the Chiang Kai-shek memorial wear similar chromed helmets.
David
Old 18-06-13, 04:19 PM

OUTSTANDING! David, so it is a "last jump" helmet. I appreciate the help.

Regards,

Greg
Old 18-06-13, 08:00 PM

I cannot add anything to this topic, I just want to comment WOW that has to be one of most lovely skid lids I have ever seen. Sort of reminds my of the chrome dome Neidimeyer wore in the movie Animal House.

Where on earth did you get this little gem from?

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 18-06-13, 08:31 PM

Default Jumping To Conclusions

Before you go and jump, or perhaps parachute, to the conclusion that this chromed Type 2 Parachute Helmet is someone's 'last jump helmet', sit back, reload and re-read the posts. You have basically three potential options for this helmet, 1 - it is a mess item, 2 - it is a legion item, or 3 - it is some sort of presentation piece.

A nice helmet, but do not get too excited that it was someone's 'last jump helmet' before you know for sure.
Old 19-06-13, 01:47 AM

Damn! Ed beat me to it.
Although the suggestion is plausible it holds no more authority than any militaria show wisdom. This item may be researchable by going through copies of the "Maroon Beret" the unit magazine of the Cdn AB Regt, as well as back copies of the R22eR, PPCLI and RCR magazines. If it is a 'last jump' helmet there is a good chance that this event would have been recorded.
Clive
(Maxwell House coffee and the Canadian Airborne Regiment - Good to the last drop)
Old 19-06-13, 02:56 AM

I have seen pictures of US Army troops wearing these plated helmets on parade.
The chin strap on the metal outer looks like the type used by the US Army in the 1960s and 1970s. It is not the chin strap that I had on the helmet I was issued with in 1985.
I am thinking an American helmet that somebody has put a Canadian Airborne cap badge on. Do you have a better shot of the badge? It looks like it has been plated.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 19-06-13, 03:24 AM

Guys, I way out of my element here as I generally don't collect helmets.

I have two copies The Maroon Beret, the 20th Anniversary issue and the
25th Anniversary issue, neither shows a chromed helmet.

I'll have to go through Tin Lids to find out what a Type 2 Parachute Helmet is.

I can't take the liner out without undoing all the buckles and I wouldn't be able to put it all back together again. What I can tell you is that the liner come out approximately 1 cm, when it goes back in it really smells

I don't know much about chinstraps. It appears to be consistent with the types I've seen in my fathers' collection from his time in the militia. I know he was issued a slider buckle version just before he retired but wore one similar to my example.

I'll take a pic of the badge and post it.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-air1.jpg (55.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 2-air2.jpg (77.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 3-air3.jpg (45.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 4-air4.jpg (42.8 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by GregN; 19-06-13 at 03:42 AM. Reason: adding pics
Old 19-06-13, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Herring View Post
I have seen pictures of US Army troops wearing these plated helmets on parade.
The chin strap on the metal outer looks like the type used by the US Army in the 1960s and 1970s. It is not the chin strap that I had on the helmet I was issued with in 1985.
I am thinking an American helmet that somebody has put a Canadian Airborne cap badge on. Do you have a better shot of the badge? It looks like it has been plated.

Phil
Hmmm... looks like a standard Canadian issue jump helmet to me. What was different about the chinstrap on the helmet you remember using?