British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-04-17, 01:57 AM

Default British American Cap Badge

Hi guys

Here's my British American Canadian Boer War era cap badge (Kings Colonial?).

Looks to be brass, lugs located north/south, and detail is pretty good.

I realize we do not have much info about this particular badge.

Pictures to follow.

best regards,

Al R
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2397.jpg (92.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2398.jpg (83.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2399.jpg (85.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2400.jpg (68.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2402.jpg (66.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2404.jpg (84.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 20-04-17, 09:42 AM

Hi Al,

these badges and the other regiments are, indeed, lacking in concrete information. I think there are many theories as to what constitutes a good or bad badge but sadly a lack of concrete info. They are also faked to death, and not all the fakes are poorly made.

For what it's worth, I'll give you my very limited understanding of them. There are some Lads on the forum who have much more extensive knowledge and expertise in these, so hopefully they will be along to add info or correct me.

The first think I think are the lugs. Most of the things I have read or seen, indicate that if the feet are evident, then this is not a good sign. The theory is, as they were not mass produced, the (possibly) single maker would have taken care to make them neatly, which does fit into the general care taken on most badges in this period.

The second thing to look at is the bottom of the scroll on the right as you view it. Originals come to a point, where fake ones tend to have excess metal filling in the space. I have attached a comparison between the two, which hopefully makes that obvious.
The last thing I am aware of, is the leaves. They should have a 'sharpness' to them when you touch them. Fakes are more rounded and smooth.

I should add, as is the case with many badges, the detail to the back is also a valuable clue. Sharp and crisp is what you want, but of course, you will find this on well made fakes as well. Oh, and another theory is they were only made from a yellow brass, which will have tarnished over the years, but something to look out for.

The first 3 pics are of my badge, which came from a trusted source, so I am happy it is good. Lastly I have just shown the difference in the scroll from my good one, and a well made fake I picked up cheaply as a reference.

Hope this is of some help, it's hard as there just isn't the breadth of knowledge on any of these King's Colonial badges.

Cheers, Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6683.jpg (78.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6684.jpg (73.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6685.jpg (77.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6687.jpg (81.2 KB, 24 views)
Old 20-04-17, 01:49 PM

Hi Tim

thanks for replying to my post and all the additional information on these badges.

Looking at the RHS of the scroll on my badge, looks as if there is metal cut out in this area as you mention - a good sign.

Wrg to the lugs, the south lug looks like there is no foot but maybe the north one?

I've re-posted pictures of these area's for comment and looking forward to what other's also may say.

best regards,

Al
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2408.jpg (73.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2409.jpg (80.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2410.jpg (63.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2411.jpg (44.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 20-04-17, 03:18 PM

yep, it looks good. I wouldn't worry too much about the lugs just yet, after all, its just a theory really. Hopefully one of the other guys with much more knowledge than me will come along to give it the once over.

Cheers, Tim
Old 20-04-17, 04:58 PM

Hi Tim

thanks for the feedback

much appreciated

Al