British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic > Forum Operation

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-09-15, 09:17 PM

Default Changing password when you have forgotten it!

I am logged in because my comp remembers my password but I can't remember what it is and I wanted to change it to one I can remember -well for now until I forget it again- as I wanted to be able to access the forum from my phone but need the password for that.

To change the password on the forum I have to enter the old one but I don't know what it is.

do I just give in and log out and then ask for a new password by email or is there another way to get it or to be able to change without the old one.

I was recently hacked and have been changing passwords for many things but some I have had for years and don't remember which version I last set on here.

Starting to ramble now so thanks!

Jerry
Old 18-09-15, 10:40 AM

IMHO, when your password is stored by a password manager on your system, you must be able to recover it from there.
The password manager can either be part of your browser (where you should be able to find it in the browser configuration/settings) or be an integral part of the system itself.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 18-09-15, 12:30 PM

Hello Jerry

I think Henk is probably right about your password being stored on your computer somewhere but if you are not computer literate (like me!), then finding it again is another matter.

I think the simplest way is to contact the organisation concerned using the 'forgot your password' link. I have had to do this several times and usually there is an instant email response with advice on how to reset your password. No hassle at all really.

Good luck
Roger
Old 18-09-15, 12:39 PM

Hi Jerry,

if you have a Mac then you can see all your stored passwords like this:

1) Open a Safari browser
2) Go to the bar across the top of your screen.
3) Press the tag "Safari" it is the first one after the apple icon
4) Press "Preferences..."
5) This opens up a box. Along the top is a series of tabs. Click on the one called "passwords" below a key symbol
6) Here you will find all your stored passwords. They are formatted as "*******" so at the bottom of the box there is a check box which says " Show passwords for selected sites" Check this. You will need your computers login password to enable this.
7) Once done, find the forum website and click on it, it will show you the password. (i hope...)

Cheers, Tim
Old 18-09-15, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
Hi Jerry,

if you have a Mac ......
I guess together we could produce this for more then a dozen combinations of OSes and browsers, it would be helpful if the OP mentions what he uses. That is, when he still wants to know which passwords are managed on his system. To me that looks as something crucial for everybody using sites with passwords like your bank, etc.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 18-09-15, 04:49 PM

Thanks all for replying, I use a lap top pc mostly but wanted to be able to use the smart phone as well.

I think just getting a new password sent to me and then changing it to one that suits is probably the best way to do this.

Jerry
Old 18-09-15, 04:58 PM

In with the phone, yippee.

Jerry
Old 18-09-15, 05:21 PM

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ew-remove.html